|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
Used of children generally (Matthew 11:25; 21:16; Luke 10:21; Romans 2:20). It is used also of those who are weak in Christian faith and knowledge (1 Corinthians 3:1; Hebrews 5:13; 1 Peter 2:2). In Isaiah 3:4 the word "babes" refers to a succession of weak and wicked princes who reigned over Judah from the death of Josiah downward to the destruction of Jerusalem.
Noah Webster's Dictionary
1. (n.) An infant; a young child of either sex; a baby.
2. (n.) A doll for children.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) na`ar; pais of a male infant 3 months old (Exodus 2:6) translated elsewhere "boy" or "lad."
(2) `olel, ta`alulim, in the general sense of "child" (Psalm 8:2; Psalm 17:14 Isaiah 3:4).
(3) brephos an unborn or newborn child (King James Version and the Revised Version (British and American) of Luke 1:41, 44; Luke 2:12, 16 1 Peter 2:2 and the Revised Version (British and American) of Luke 18:15 [AV "infants"]; Acts 7:19 [King James Version, "young children"] and 2 Timothy 3:15 [King James Version, "child"]).
(4) nepios = (Latin infans) "a child that cannot speak." (King James and the Revised Version (British and American) of Matthew 11:25; Matthew 21:16 Luke 10:21 Romans 2:20 1 Corinthians 3:1; Hebrews 5:13) the same word is translated "child," plural "children" (in the King James Version and the Revised Version (British and American) of 1 Corinthians 13:11 Galatians 4:1, 3 Ephesians 4:14) the verb nepiazete is translated in the King James Version "be ye children" and in the Revised Version (British and American) "be ye babes" (1 Corinthians 14:20). Nepios is used metaphorically of those who are like children, of simple and single minds, as opposed to the "wise and understanding" (Matthew 11:25 = Luke 10:21; compare 1 Corinthians 14:20). "Babes in Christ" are men of little spiritual growth, carnal as opposed to spiritual (1 Corinthians 3:1; compare Hebrews 5:13 Ephesians 4:14). Nepios is also used of a child as a minor or infant in the eye of the law (Galatians 4:1, 3).
Babe (15 Occurrences)
Matthew 2:9 After hearing what the king said, they went to Bethlehem, while, strange to say, the star they had seen in the east led them on until it came and stood over the place where the babe was. (WEY)
Matthew 2:11 So they entered the house; and when they saw the babe with His mother Mary, they prostrated themselves and did Him homage, and opening their treasure-chests offered gifts to Him--gold, frankincense, and myrrh. (WEY)
Matthew 2:13 When they were gone, and angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, "Rise: take the babe and His mother and escape to Egypt, and remain there till I bring you word. For Herod is about to make search for the child in order to destroy Him." (WEY)
Matthew 2:14 So Joseph roused himself and took the babe and His mother by night and departed into Egypt. (WEY)
Luke 1:41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost: (KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Luke 1:44 For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. (KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Luke 2:12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. (KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Luke 2:16 And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. (KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
John 16:21 A woman, when she is in labour, has sorrow, because her time has come. But when she has given birth to the babe, she no longer remembers the pain, because of her joy at a child being born into the world. (WEY)
1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a babe, as a babe I was speaking, as a babe I was thinking, as a babe I was reasoning, and when I have become a man, I have made useless the things of the babe; (YLT)
Galatians 4:1 And I say, so long time as the heir is a babe, he differeth nothing from a servant -- being lord of all, (YLT)
2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a babe thou hast known the sacred writings which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. (ASV YLT)
Hebrews 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. (KJV ASV DBY WBS)
Exodus 2:6 And when she had opened it, she saw the child: and, behold, the babe wept. And she had compassion on him, and said, This is one of the Hebrews' children. (KJV ASV WBS RSV)
Isaiah 3:12 As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they that lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths. (See JPS)