|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) Any round or roundish body or mass; a sphere or globe; as, a ball of twine; a ball of snow.
2. (n.) A spherical body of any substance or size used to play with, as by throwing, knocking, kicking, etc.
3. (n.) A general name for games in which a ball is thrown, kicked, or knocked. See Football.
4. (n.) Any solid spherical, cylindrical, or conical projectile of lead or iron, to be discharged from a firearm; as, a cannon ball; a rifle ball; -- often used collectively; as, powder and ball. Spherical balls for the smaller firearms are commonly called bullets.
5. (n.) A flaming, roundish body shot into the air; a case filled with combustibles intended to burst and give light or set fire, or to produce smoke or stench; as, a fire ball; a stink ball.
6. (n.) A leather-covered cushion, fastened to a handle called a ballstock; -- formerly used by printers for inking the form, but now superseded by the roller.
7. (n.) A roundish protuberant portion of some part of the body; as, the ball of the thumb; the ball of the foot.
8. (n.) A large pill, a form in which medicine is commonly given to horses; a bolus.
9. (n.) The globe or earth.
10. (v. i.) To gather balls which cling to the feet, as of damp snow or clay; to gather into balls; as, the horse balls; the snow balls.
11. (v. t.) To heat in a furnace and form into balls for rolling.
12. (v. t.) To form or wind into a ball; as, to ball cotton.
13. (n.) A social assembly for the purpose of dancing.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
bol (dur): A rare Hebrew word used in this sense only in Isaiah 22:18, and correctly rendered in the American Standard Revised Version "He will surely wind thee round and round, and toss thee like a ball into a large country." De Or, Bottcher, Jastrow, following Talmud, regard the noun as kaddur, but perhaps incorrectly.
See also GAMES.
Ball (2 Occurrences)
Leviticus 11:27 Any four-footed beast which goes on the ball of its foot, is unclean to you: anyone touching the dead body of one of these will be unclean till evening. (BBE)
Isaiah 22:18 He will surely wind you around and around, and throw you like a ball into a large country. There you will die, and there the chariots of your glory will be, you shame of your lord's house. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)