|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) A public proclamation or edict; a public order or notice, mandatory or prohibitory; a summons by public proclamation.
2. (n.) A calling together of the king's (esp. the French king's) vassals for military service; also, the body of vassals thus assembled or summoned. In present usage, in France and Prussia, the most effective part of the population liable to military duty and not in the standing army.
3. (n.) Notice of a proposed marriage, proclaimed in church. See Banns.
4. (n.) An interdiction, prohibition, or proscription.
5. (n.) A curse or anathema.
6. (n.) A pecuniary mulct or penalty laid upon a delinquent for offending against a ban; as, a mulct paid to a bishop by one guilty of sacrilege or other crimes.
7. (v. t.) To curse; to invoke evil upon.
8. (v. t.) To forbid; to interdict.
9. (v. i.) To curse; to swear.
10. (n.) An ancient title of the warden of the eastern marches of Hungary; now, a title of the viceroy of Croatia and Slavonia.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(A, Ban; B, Bainan; 1 Esdras 5:37 = Tobiah (Ezra 2:60 Nehemiah 7:62); some manuscripts of the Septuagint read Boua): The descendants of Ban were not able to trace their ancestry to show "how they were of Israel."
Ban (12 Occurrences)
Deuteronomy 7:26 You shall not bring an abomination into your house, and become a devoted thing like it. You shall utterly detest it, and you shall utterly abhor it; for it is a devoted thing. (See NAS)
Deuteronomy 13:17 There shall cleave nothing of the devoted thing to your hand; that Yahweh may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and show you mercy, and have compassion on you, and multiply you, as he has sworn to your fathers; (See NAS)
Joshua 6:17 The city shall be devoted, even it and all that is in it, to Yahweh. Only Rahab the prostitute shall live, she and all who are with her in the house, because she hid the messengers that we sent. (See NAS)
Joshua 6:18 But as for you, only keep yourselves from the devoted thing, lest when you have devoted it, you take of the devoted thing; so would you make the camp of Israel accursed, and trouble it. (See NAS)
Joshua 7:1 But the children of Israel committed a trespass in the devoted things; for Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took some of the devoted things. Therefore Yahweh's anger burned against the children of Israel. (See NAS)
Joshua 7:11 Israel has sinned. Yes, they have even transgressed my covenant which I commanded them. Yes, they have even taken of the devoted things, and have also stolen, and also deceived. They have even put it among their own stuff. (See NAS)
Joshua 7:12 Therefore the children of Israel can't stand before their enemies. They turn their backs before their enemies, because they have become devoted for destruction. I will not be with you any more, unless you destroy the devoted things from among you. (See NAS)
Joshua 7:15 It shall be, that he who is taken with the devoted thing shall be burnt with fire, he and all that he has, because he has transgressed the covenant of Yahweh, and because he has done a disgraceful thing in Israel.'" (See NAS)
Joshua 22:20 Didn't Achan the son of Zerah commit a trespass in the devoted thing, and wrath fell on all the congregation of Israel? That man didn't perish alone in his iniquity.'" (See NAS)
1 Chronicles 2:7 The sons of Carmi: Achar, the troubler of Israel, who committed a trespass in the devoted thing. (See NAS NIV)
Isaiah 34:5 For my sword is bathed in the heavens; behold, it shall come down upon Edom, and upon the people of my ban, to judgment. (DBY JPS)
Isaiah 43:28 And I have profaned the princes of the sanctuary, and have given Jacob to the ban, and Israel to reproaches. (DBY NAS)