|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
A vessel used for keeping flour (1 Kings 17:12, 14, 16). The same word (cad) so rendered is also translated "pitcher," a vessel for carrying water (Genesis 24:14; Judges 7:16).
Noah Webster's Dictionary
1. (n.) A round vessel or cask, of greater length than breadth, and bulging in the middle, made of staves bound with hoops, and having flat ends or heads.
2. (n.) The quantity which constitutes a full barrel. This varies for different articles and also in different places for the same article, being regulated by custom or by law. A barrel of wine is 31/ gallons; a barrel of flour is 196 pounds.
3. (n.) A solid drum, or a hollow cylinder or case; as, the barrel of a windlass; the barrel of a watch, within which the spring is coiled.
4. (n.) A metallic tube, as of a gun, from which a projectile is discharged.
5. (n.) A jar.
6. (n.) The hollow basal part of a feather.
7. (v. t.) To put or to pack in a barrel or barrels.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
bar'-el: The word "barrel" in the King James Version (see 1 Kings 17:12, 14, 16; 1 Kings 18:33: "The barrel of meal," "fill four barrels with water," etc.) stands for the large earthenware jar (so the American Standard Revised Version) used in the East for carrying water from the spring or well, and for storing grain, etc., according to a custom that still persists. It is elsewhere (EV) more fitly rendered "pitcher."
See HOUSE; PITCHER, etc.
Barrel (3 Occurrences)
1 Kings 17:12 And she said, As the LORD thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die. (KJV DBY WBS)
1 Kings 17:14 For thus saith the LORD God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the LORD sendeth rain upon the earth. (KJV DBY WBS)
1 Kings 17:16 And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Elijah. (KJV DBY WBS)