|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To strain or move out of a straight line; to crook by straining; to make crooked; to curve; to make ready for use by drawing into a curve; as, to bend a bow; to bend the knee.
2. (v. t.) To turn toward some certain point; to direct; to incline.
3. (v. t.) To apply closely or with interest; to direct.
4. (v. t.) To cause to yield; to render submissive; to subdue.
5. (v. t.) To fasten, as one rope to another, or as a sail to its yard or stay; or as a cable to the ring of an anchor.
6. (v. i.) To be moved or strained out of a straight line; to crook or be curving; to bow.
7. (v. i.) To jut over; to overhang.
8. (v. i.) To be inclined; to be directed.
9. (v. i.) To bow in prayer, or in token of submission.
10. (n.) A turn or deflection from a straight line or from the proper direction or normal position; a curve; a crook; as, a slight bend of the body; a bend in a road.
11. (n.) Turn; purpose; inclination; ends.
12. (n.) A knot by which one rope is fastened to another or to an anchor, spar, or post.
13. (n.) The best quality of sole leather; a butt. See Butt.
14. (n.) Hard, indurate clay; bind.
15. (n.) Same as caisson disease. Usually referred to as the bends.
16. (n.) A band.
17. (n.) One of the honorable ordinaries, containing a third or a fifth part of the field. It crosses the field diagonally from the dexter chief to the sinister base.
Bend (29 Occurrences)
Luke 13:11 and lo, there was a woman having a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and she was bowed together, and not able to bend back at all, (YLT)
Luke 21:28 and these things beginning to happen bend yourselves back, and lift up your heads, because your redemption doth draw nigh.' (YLT)
Romans 11:10 Let their eyes be made dark so that they may not see, and let their back be bent down at all times. (See NAS RSV)
1 Peter 1:12 to whom it was revealed, that not to themselves, but to us they were ministering these, which now were told to you (through those who did proclaim good news to you,) in the Holy Spirit sent from heaven, to which things messengers do desire to bend looking. (YLT)
Genesis 49:15 He saw a resting place, that it was good, the land, that it was pleasant. He bows his shoulder to the burden, and becomes a servant doing forced labor. (See NIV)
Judges 11:35 And it cometh to pass, when he seeth her, that he rendeth his garments, and saith, 'Alas, my daughter, thou hast caused me greatly to bend, and thou hast been among those troubling me; and I -- I have opened my mouth unto Jehovah, and I am not able to turn back.' (YLT)
2 Samuel 22:35 He teaches my hands to war, so that my arms bend a bow of brass. (WEB JPS ASV DBY NAS RSV NIV)
Job 15:29 He shall not be rich, neither shall his substance continue, Neither shall their possessions be extended on the earth. (See JPS NAS)
Job 31:10 Grind to another let my wife, And over her let others bend. (YLT)
Job 40:17 He bendeth his tail like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are woven together. (Root in DBY YLT NAS)
Psalms 7:12 If a man turn not, He will whet His sword, He hath bent His bow, and made it ready; (See NIV)
Psalms 11:2 For, behold, the wicked bend their bows. They set their arrows on the strings, that they may shoot in darkness at the upright in heart. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 17:13 Arise, O Jehovah, go before his face, Cause him to bend. Deliver my soul from the wicked, Thy sword, (YLT)
Psalms 18:34 He teaches my hands to war, so that my arms bend a bow of bronze. (WEB JPS ASV DBY NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 37:14 The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow; to cast down the poor and needy, to slay such as are upright in the way; (See RSV NIV)
Psalms 64:3 Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words: (KJV WBS)
Psalms 78:31 And the anger of God hath gone up against them, And He slayeth among their fat ones, And youths of Israel He caused to bend. (YLT)
Psalms 95:6 Oh come, let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before Jehovah our Maker: (See JPS YLT)
Proverbs 16:26 A labouring man hath laboured for himself, For his mouth hath caused 'him' to bend over it. (YLT)
Isaiah 46:2 They bend, they are bowed down together; they could not deliver the burden, and themselves are gone into captivity. (DBY)
Isaiah 65:12 Your fate will be the sword, and you will all go down to death: because when my voice came to you, you made no answer; you did not give ear to my word; but you did what was evil in my eyes, desiring what was not pleasing to me. (See NIV)
Jeremiah 9:3 They bend their tongue, as it were their bow, for falsehood; and they are grown strong in the land, but not for truth: for they proceed from evil to evil, and they don't know me, says Yahweh. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Jeremiah 46:9 Go up, you horses; and rage, you chariots; and let the mighty men go forth: Cush and Put, who handle the shield; and the Ludim, who handle and bend the bow. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS)
Jeremiah 50:14 Set yourselves in array against Babylon all around, all you who bend the bow; shoot at her, spare no arrows: for she has sinned against Yahweh. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV)
Jeremiah 50:29 Call together the archers against Babylon, all those who bend the bow; encamp against her all around; let none of it escape: recompense her according to her work; according to all that she has done, do to her; for she has been proud against Yahweh, against the Holy One of Israel. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV)
Jeremiah 51:3 Against him who bends let the archer bend his bow, and against him who lifts himself up in his coat of mail: and don't spare her young men; utterly destroy all her army. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV)
Ezekiel 17:7 There was also another great eagle with great wings and many feathers: and behold, this vine did bend its roots toward him, and shot forth its branches toward him, from the beds of its plantation, that he might water it. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Zephaniah 2:1 Bend yourselves, yea, bend ye, O nation not desired, (YLT)
Zechariah 9:13 For indeed I bend Judah as a bow for me. I have filled the bow with Ephraim; and I will stir up your sons, Zion, against your sons, Greece, and will make you like the sword of a mighty man. (WEB JPS NAS NIV)