|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) A piece of wood more or less bulky; a solid mass of wood, stone, etc., usually with one or more plane, or approximately plane, faces; as, a block on which a butcher chops his meat; a block by which to mount a horse; children's playing blocks, etc.
2. (n.) The solid piece of wood on which condemned persons lay their necks when they are beheaded.
3. (n.) The wooden mold on which hats, bonnets, etc., are shaped.
4. (n.) The pattern or shape of a hat.
5. (n.) A large or long building divided into separate houses or shops, or a number of houses or shops built in contact with each other so as to form one building; a row of houses or shops.
6. (n.) A square, or portion of a city enclosed by streets, whether occupied by buildings or not.
7. (n.) A grooved pulley or sheave incased in a frame or shell which is provided with a hook, eye, or strap, by which it may be attached to an object. It is used to change the direction of motion, as in raising a heavy object that can not be conveniently reached, and also, when two or more such sheaves are compounded, to change the rate of motion, or to exert increased force; -- used especially in the rigging of ships, and in tackles.
8. (n.) The perch on which a bird of prey is kept.
9. (v. t.) Any obstruction, or cause of obstruction; a stop; a hindrance; an obstacle; as, a block in the way.
10. (n.) A piece of box or other wood for engravers' work.
11. (n.) A piece of hard wood (as mahogany or cherry) on which a stereotype or electrotype plate is mounted to make it type high.
12. (n.) A blockhead; a stupid fellow; a dolt.
13. (n.) A section of a railroad where the block system is used. See Block system, below.
14. (n.) To obstruct so as to prevent passage or progress; to prevent passage from, through, or into, by obstructing the way; -- used both of persons and things; -- often followed by up; as, to block up a road or harbor.
15. (n.) To secure or support by means of blocks; to secure, as two boards at their angles of intersection, by pieces of wood glued to each.
16. (n.) To shape on, or stamp with, a block; as, to block a hat.
Block (22 Occurrences)
Matthew 16:23 But he turned, and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, for you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of men." (WEB ASV YLT NAS NIV)
Matthew 18:7 Wo to the world from the stumbling-blocks! for there is a necessity for the stumbling-blocks to come, but wo to that man through whom the stumbling-block doth come! (Root in YLT NAS)
Luke 7:23 And blessed is he, to whom I shall not be a stumbling block. (WBS)
Romans 11:9 David says, "Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, a stumbling block, and a retribution to them. (WEB KJV WEY ASV WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Romans 14:13 Therefore let's not judge one another any more, but judge this rather, that no man put a stumbling block in his brother's way, or an occasion for falling. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Romans 14:20 Don't overthrow God's work for food's sake. All things indeed are clean, however it is evil for that man who creates a stumbling block by eating. (WEB)
1 Corinthians 1:23 but we preach Christ crucified; a stumbling block to Jews, and foolishness to Greeks, (WEB KJV WEY ASV WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Corinthians 8:9 But be careful that by no means does this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to the weak. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Corinthians 6:3 We give no occasion of stumbling in anything, that our service may not be blamed, (See NIV)
Galatians 5:11 But I, brothers, if I still preach circumcision, why am I still persecuted? Then the stumbling block of the cross has been removed. (WEB WEY ASV YLT NAS RSV)
Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against you, because you have there some who hold the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to throw a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality. (WEB KJV WEY ASV WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Leviticus 19:14 "'You shall not curse the deaf, nor put a stumbling block before the blind; but you shall fear your God. I am Yahweh. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 35:3 Brandish the spear and block those who pursue me. Tell my soul, "I am your salvation." (WEB)
Isaiah 44:19 And none taketh it to heart, neither is there knowledge nor understanding to say, I have burned part of it in the fire, and have also baked bread upon the coals thereof, I have roasted flesh, and eaten it, and with the rest thereof shall I make an abomination? shall I bow down to a block of wood? (DBY NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 3:20 Again, when a righteous man does turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumbling block before him, he shall die: because you have not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteous deeds which he has done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at your hand. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 7:19 They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be as an unclean thing; their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of Yahweh: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their bowels; because it has been the stumbling block of their iniquity. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Ezekiel 14:3 Son of man, these men have taken their idols into their heart, and put the stumbling block of their iniquity before their face: should I be inquired of at all by them? (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 14:4 Therefore speak to them, and tell them, Thus says the Lord Yahweh: Every man of the house of Israel who takes his idols into his heart, and puts the stumbling block of his iniquity before his face, and comes to the prophet; I Yahweh will answer him therein according to the multitude of his idols; (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 14:7 For everyone of the house of Israel, or of the strangers who sojourn in Israel, who separates himself from me, and takes his idols into his heart, and puts the stumbling block of his iniquity before his face, and comes to the prophet to inquire for himself of me; I Yahweh will answer him by myself: (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 18:30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Return ye, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so shall they not be a stumblingblock of iniquity unto you. (Root in JPS YLT NAS)
Ezekiel 39:11 It shall happen in that day, that I will give to Gog a place for burial in Israel, the valley of those who pass through on the east of the sea; and it shall stop those who pass through: and there shall they bury Gog and all his multitude; and they shall call it The valley of Hamon Gog. (See NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 44:12 Because they ministered to them before their idols, and became a stumbling block of iniquity to the house of Israel; therefore have I lifted up my hand against them, says the Lord Yahweh, and they shall bear their iniquity. (WEB JPS ASV DBY YLT NAS RSV)