|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
An obligation of any kind (Numbers 30:2, 4, 12). The word means also oppression or affliction (Psalm 116:16; Philippians 1:7). Christian love is the "bond of perfectness" (Colossians 3:14), and the influences of the Spirit are the "bond of peace" (Ephesians 4:3).
Noah Webster's Dictionary
1. (n.) That which binds, ties, fastens, or confines, or by which anything is fastened or bound, as a cord, chain, etc.; a band; a ligament; a shackle or a manacle.
2. (n.) The state of being bound; imprisonment; captivity, restraint.
3. (n.) A binding force or influence; a cause of union; a uniting tie; as, the bonds of fellowship.
4. (n.) Moral or political duty or obligation.
5. (n.) A writing under seal, by which a person binds himself, his heirs, executors, and administrators, to pay a certain sum on or before a future day appointed. This is a single bond. But usually a condition is added, that, if the obligor shall do a certain act, appear at a certain place, conform to certain rules, faithfully perform certain duties, or pay a certain sum of money, on or before a time specified, the obligation shall be void; otherwise it shall remain in full force. If the condition is not performed, the bond becomes forfeited, and the obligor and his heirs are liable to the payment of the whole sum.
6. (n.) An instrument (of the nature of the ordinary legal bond) made by a government or a corporation for purpose of borrowing money; as, a government, city, or railway bond.
7. (n.) The state of goods placed in a bonded warehouse till the duties are paid; as, merchandise in bond.
8. (n.) The union or tie of the several stones or bricks forming a wall. The bricks may be arranged for this purpose in several different ways, as in English or block bond (Fig. 1), where one course consists of bricks with their ends toward the face of the wall, called headers, and the next course of bricks with their lengths parallel to the face of the wall, called stretchers; Flemish bond, where each course consists of headers and stretchers alternately, so laid as always to break joints; Cross bond, which differs from the English by the change of the second stretcher line so that its joints come in the middle of the first, and the same position of stretchers comes back every fifth line; Combined cross and English bond, where the inner part of the wall is laid in the one method, the outer in the other.
9. (n.) A unit of chemical attraction; as, oxygen has two bonds of affinity. It is often represented in graphic formulae by a short line or dash. See Diagram of Benzene nucleus, and Valence.
10. (v. t.) To place under the conditions of a bond; to mortgage; to secure the payment of the duties on (goods or merchandise) by giving a bond.
11. (v. t.) To dispose in building, as the materials of a wall, so as to secure solidity.
12. (n.) A vassal or serf; a slave.
13. (a.) In a state of servitude or slavery; captive.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
See BAND; BILL; CHAIN.
Bond (32 Occurrences)
Mark 7:35 And his ears were opened, and the bond of his tongue was loosed, and he spake plain. (ASV)
Luke 13:16 Ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan had bound eighteen long years, be freed from this bondage on the Sabbath day?" (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Luke 16:6 And he said, A hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bond, and sit down quickly and write fifty. (ASV)
Luke 16:7 Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, A hundred measures of wheat. He saith unto him, Take thy bond, and write fourscore. (ASV)
Acts 8:23 For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bondage of iniquity." (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Acts 17:9 When they had taken security from Jason and the rest, they let them go. (See NIV)
1 Corinthians 7:27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to get free. Are you free from the marriage bond? Do not seek for a wife. (WEY)
1 Corinthians 12:13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all given to drink into one Spirit. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS)
Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. (KJV ASV DBY WBS)
Ephesians 4:3 being eager to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ephesians 6:8 Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free. (KJV ASV DBY WBS)
Colossians 2:14 The bond, with its requirements, which was in force against us and was hostile to us, He cancelled, and cleared it out of the way, nailing it to His Cross. (WEY ASV RSV)
Colossians 3:11 where there can't be Greek and Jew, circumcision and uncircumcision, barbarian, Scythian, bondservant, freeman; but Christ is all, and in all. (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS)
Colossians 3:14 Above all these things, walk in love, which is the bond of perfection. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Revelation 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: (KJV ASV DBY WBS)
Revelation 19:18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great. (KJV ASV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 25:39 And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee; thou shalt not compel him to serve as a bondservant: (Root in KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Numbers 30:2 When a man vows a vow to Yahweh, or swears an oath to bind his soul with a bond, he shall not break his word; he shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Numbers 30:3 "Also when a woman vows a vow to Yahweh, and binds herself by a bond, being in her father's house, in her youth, (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Numbers 30:4 and her father hears her vow, and her bond with which she has bound her soul, and her father holds his peace at her; then all her vows shall stand, and every bond with which she has bound her soul shall stand. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Numbers 30:10 "If she vowed in her husband's house, or bound her soul by a bond with an oath, (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Numbers 30:11 and her husband heard it, and held his peace at her, and didn't disallow her; then all her vows shall stand, and every bond with which she bound her soul shall stand. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Numbers 30:12 But if her husband made them null and void in the day that he heard them, then whatever proceeded out of her lips concerning her vows, or concerning the bond of her soul, shall not stand: her husband has made them void; and Yahweh will forgive her. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Numbers 30:13 Every vow and every oath -- a bond to humble a soul -- her husband doth establish it, or her husband doth break it; (YLT)
Deuteronomy 32:36 For Yahweh will judge his people, and have compassion on his servants, when he sees that their power is gone, There is none remaining, shut up or left at large. (See NAS RSV)
1 Kings 14:10 therefore, behold, I will bring evil on the house of Jeroboam, and will cut off from Jeroboam everyone who urinates on a wall, he who is shut up and he who is left at large in Israel, and will utterly sweep away the house of Jeroboam, as a man sweeps away dung, until it is all gone. (See NAS RSV)
1 Kings 21:21 Behold, I will bring evil on you, and will utterly sweep you away and will cut off from Ahab everyone who urinates against a wall, and him who is shut up and him who is left at large in Israel. (See NAS RSV)
2 Kings 9:8 For the whole house of Ahab shall perish. I will cut off from Ahab everyone who urinates against a wall, both him who is shut up and him who is left at large in Israel. (See NAS RSV)
2 Kings 14:26 For Yahweh saw the affliction of Israel, that it was very bitter; for there was none shut up nor left at large, neither was there any helper for Israel. (See NAS RSV)
Job 12:18 He loosens the bond of kings. He binds their waist with a belt. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS NAS RSV)
Proverbs 22:2 The man of wealth and the poor man come face to face: the Lord is the maker of them all. (See NAS)
Ezekiel 20:37 I will cause you to pass under the rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant; (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)