|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) The lowest part of anything; the foot; as, the bottom of a tree or well; the bottom of a hill, a lane, or a page.
2. (n.) The part of anything which is beneath the contents and supports them, as the part of a chair on which a person sits, the circular base or lower head of a cask or tub, or the plank floor of a ship's hold; the under surface.
3. (n.) That upon which anything rests or is founded, in a literal or a figurative sense; foundation; groundwork.
4. (n.) The bed of a body of water, as of a river, lake, sea.
5. (n.) The fundament; the buttocks.
6. (n.) An abyss.
7. (n.) Low land formed by alluvial deposits along a river; low-lying ground; a dale; a valley.
8. (n.) The part of a ship which is ordinarily under water; hence, the vessel itself; a ship.
9. (n.) Power of endurance; as, a horse of a good bottom.
10. (n.) Dregs or grounds; lees; sediment.
11. (a.) of or pertaining to the bottom; fundamental; lowest; under; as, bottom rock; the bottom board of a wagon box; bottom prices.
12. (v. t.) To found or build upon; to fix upon as a support; -- followed by on or upon.
13. (v. t.) To furnish with a bottom; as, to bottom a chair.
14. (v. t.) To reach or get to the bottom of.
15. (v. i.) To rest, as upon an ultimate support; to be based or grounded; -- usually with on or upon.
16. (v. i.) To reach or impinge against the bottom, so as to impede free action, as when the point of a cog strikes the bottom of a space between two other cogs, or a piston the end of a cylinder.
17. (n.) A ball or skein of thread; a cocoon.
18. (v. t.) To wind round something, as in making a ball of thread.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
bot'-um: Rendered by several Hebrew words:
(1) sheresh, "root"; Chaldaic, shoresh (Job 36:30, "the bottom of the sea").
(2) qarqa', "soil," "pavement of tesserae" (Amos 9:3).
(3) qetsebh, "cutting," "chop," "extremity" (Jonah 2:6, "the bottoms of the mountains").
(4) rephidhah, "railing," "couch" (Songs 3:10, "the bottom thereof of gold").
(5) cheq, "bosom," "lap" (Ezekiel 43:13, 14, 17, the Revised Version, margin "hollow").
(6) metsullah, "to be dark," "shadowy place," from primitive root tsalal, "to tumble down," i.e. "settle"; hence, the idea of a valley ("the myrtle-trees that were in the bottom," Zechariah 1:8 the Revised Version, margin "shady place"). The prophet may have been wont to frequent the myrtle grove in the glen or bottoms, in the neighborhood of Jerusalem, for meditation and prayer (BTP, II, 283).
M. O. Evans
Bottom (33 Occurrences)
Matthew 27:51 Behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from the top to the bottom. The earth quaked and the rocks were split. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Mark 9:42 "And whoever shall occasion the fall of one of these little ones who believe, he would be better off if, with a millstone round his neck, he were lying at the bottom of the sea. (WEY)
Mark 15:38 The veil of the temple was torn in two from the top to the bottom. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 17:2 It would be well for him if, with a millstone round his neck, he were lying at the bottom of the sea, rather than that he should cause even one of these little ones to fall. (WEY)
John 19:23 Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also the coat. Now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout. (See RSV NIV)
Acts 20:9 And a certain youth, by name Eutychus, sitting at the window-opening, overpowered by deep sleep, while Paul discoursed very much at length, having been overpowered by the sleep, fell from the third story down to the bottom, and was taken up dead. (DBY)
Exodus 15:5 The depths have covered them: they sank into the bottom as a stone. (KJV DBY WBS)
Exodus 26:24 And they shall be double beneath, and in like manner they shall be complete unto the top thereof unto the first ring; thus shall it be for them both; they shall be for the two corners. (See NIV)
Exodus 28:27 You shall make two rings of gold, and shall put them on the two shoulder straps of the ephod underneath, in its forepart, close by its coupling, above the skillfully woven band of the ephod. (See NAS NIV)
Exodus 29:12 And thou shalt take of the blood of the bullock, and put it upon the horns of the altar with thy finger, and pour all the blood beside the bottom of the altar. (KJV DBY WBS)
Exodus 36:29 that they might be double beneath, and in like manner they should be complete unto the top thereof unto the first ring. Thus he did to both of them in the two corners. (See NIV)
Exodus 39:20 They made two rings of gold, and put them on the two shoulder straps of the ephod underneath, in its front, close by its coupling, above the skillfully woven band of the ephod. (See NAS NIV)
Leviticus 4:7 And the priest shall put some of the blood upon the horns of the altar of sweet incense before the LORD, which is in the tabernacle of the congregation; and shall pour all the blood of the bullock at the bottom of the altar of the burnt offering, which is at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. (KJV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 4:25 And the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering with his finger, and put it upon the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and shall pour out his blood at the bottom of the altar of burnt offering. (KJV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 4:30 And the priest shall take of the blood thereof with his finger, and put it upon the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and shall pour out all the blood thereof at the bottom of the altar. (KJV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 4:34 And the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering with his finger, and put it upon the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and shall pour out all the blood thereof at the bottom of the altar: (KJV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 5:9 And he shall sprinkle of the blood of the sin offering upon the side of the altar; and the rest of the blood shall be wrung out at the bottom of the altar: it is a sin offering. (KJV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 8:15 And he slew it; and Moses took the blood, and put it upon the horns of the altar round about with his finger, and purified the altar, and poured the blood at the bottom of the altar, and sanctified it, to make reconciliation upon it. (KJV DBY WBS)
Leviticus 9:9 And the sons of Aaron brought the blood unto him: and he dipped his finger in the blood, and put it upon the horns of the altar, and poured out the blood at the bottom of the altar: (KJV DBY WBS)
Deuteronomy 28:13 Yahweh will make you the head, and not the tail; and you shall be above only, and you shall not be beneath; if you shall listen to the commandments of Yahweh your God, which I command you this day, to observe and to do them, (See NIV)
Job 36:30 Behold, he spreads his light around him. He covers the bottom of the sea. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS)
Song of Songs 3:10 He made its pillars of silver, its bottom of gold, its seat of purple, its midst being paved with love, from the daughters of Jerusalem. (WEB KJV ASV WBS YLT)
Ezekiel 1:15 Now as I beheld the living creatures, behold, one wheel upon the earth beside the living creatures, for each of the four faces thereof. (See JPS)
Ezekiel 1:19 And when the living creatures went, the wheels went beside them; and when the living creatures were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up. (See JPS)
Ezekiel 24:11 Then set it empty upon the coals thereof, that it may be hot, and the brass thereof may burn, and that the filthiness of it may be molten in it, that the rust of it may be consumed. (See JPS)
Ezekiel 43:13 These are the measures of the altar by cubits (the cubit is a cubit and a handbreadth): the bottom shall be a cubit, and the breadth a cubit, and its border around its edge a span; and this shall be the base of the altar. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Ezekiel 43:14 From the bottom on the ground to the lower ledge shall be two cubits, and the breadth one cubit; and from the lesser ledge to the greater ledge shall be four cubits, and the breadth a cubit. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Ezekiel 43:17 The ledge shall be fourteen cubits long by fourteen broad in the four sides of it; and the border about it shall be half a cubit; and its bottom shall be a cubit around; and its steps shall look toward the east. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Ezekiel 46:23 There was a wall around in them, around the four, and boiling places were made under the walls all around. (See RSV)
Daniel 6:24 The king commanded, and they brought those men who had accused Daniel, and they cast them into the den of lions, them, their children, and their wives; and the lions had the mastery of them, and broke all their bones in pieces, before they came to the bottom of the den. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV)
Amos 9:3 Though they hide themselves in the top of Carmel, I will search and take them out there; and though they be hid from my sight in the bottom of the sea, there I will command the serpent, and it will bite them. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV NIV)
Habakkuk 2:14 For full is the earth of the knowledge of the honour of Jehovah, As waters cover 'the bottom of' a sea. (YLT)
Zechariah 1:8 I saw by night, and behold a man riding upon a red horse, and he stood among the myrtle trees that were in the bottom; and behind him were there red horses, speckled, and white. (KJV JPS ASV WBS)