|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
For holding oil or perfumery (Mark 14:3). It was of the form of a flask or bottle. The Hebrew word (pak) used for it is more appropriately rendered "vial" in 1 Samuel 10:1, and should also be so rendered in 2 Kings 9:1, where alone else it occurs.
Noah Webster's Dictionary
1. (n.) A tree or shrub, flourishing in different parts of the world. The common box (Buxus sempervirens) has two varieties, one of which, the dwarf box (B. suffruticosa), is much used for borders in gardens. The wood of the tree varieties, being very hard and smooth, is extensively used in the arts, as by turners, engravers, mathematical instrument makers, etc.
2. (n.) A receptacle or case of any firm material and of various shapes.
3. (n.) The quantity that a box contain.
4. (n.) A space with a few seats partitioned off in a theater, or other place of public amusement.
5. (n.) A chest or any receptacle for the deposit of money; as, a poor box; a contribution box.
6. (n.) A small country house.
7. (n.) A boxlike shed for shelter; as, a sentry box.
8. (n.) An axle box, journal box, journal bearing, or bushing.
9. (n.) A chamber or section of tube in which a valve works; the bucket of a lifting pump.
10. (n.) The driver's seat on a carriage or coach.
11. (n.) A present in a box; a present; esp. a Christmas box or gift.
12. (n.) The square in which the pitcher stands.
13. (n.) A Mediterranean food fish; the bogue.
14. (v. t.) To enclose in a box.
15. (v. t.) To furnish with boxes, as a wheel.
16. (v. t.) To enclose with boarding, lathing, etc., so as to bring to a required form.
17. (n.) A blow on the head or ear with the hand.
18. (v. i.) To fight with the fist; to combat with, or as with, the hand or fist; to spar.
19. (v. t.) To strike with the hand or fist, especially to strike on the ear, or on the side of the head.
20. (v. t.) To boxhaul.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
The passages in which this word occurs are 2 Kings 9:1, 3 (Hebrew pakh, "cruet," "flask," the Revised Version (British and American) vial) and the synoptic passages Matthew 26:7 the King James Version; Mark 14:3 the King James Version; Luke 7:37 the King James Version (Greek alabastron). "Perfume-boxes" are mentioned in Isaiah 3:20; in the New Testament passages the Revised Version (British and American) renders "alabaster cruse." "Alabaster" was a white stone much used in ornamentation; and out of it small vessels we re made for holding precious ointment. "She brake the cruse" (Mark 14:3), i.e. the seal, not the vessel.
In Isaiah 41:19 and Isaiah 60:13, "box" is found in connection with "tree," as "box-tree" (which see).
Box (13 Occurrences)
Matthew 26:7 There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat. (KJV WBS YLT)
Mark 12:43 And he made his disciples come to him, and said to them, Truly I say to you, This poor widow has put in more than all those who are putting money into the box: (BBE)
Luke 7:37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, (KJV DBY WBS YLT)
John 12:6 Now he said this, not because he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief, and having the money box, used to steal what was put into it. (WEB WEY NAS RSV)
John 13:29 For some thought, because Judas had the money box, that Jesus said to him, "Buy what things we need for the feast," or that he should give something to the poor. (WEB WEY NAS RSV)
1 Corinthians 9:26 That is how I run, not being in any doubt as to my goal. I am a boxer who does not inflict blows on the air, (Root in WEY NAS RSV)
1 Samuel 6:8 and take the ark of Yahweh, and lay it on the cart; and put the jewels of gold, which you return him for a trespass offering, in a coffer by its side; and send it away, that it may go. (See NAS RSV)
1 Samuel 6:11 and they put the ark of Yahweh on the cart, and the coffer with the mice of gold and the images of their tumors. (See NAS RSV)
1 Samuel 6:15 The Levites took down the ark of Yahweh, and the coffer that was with it, in which the jewels of gold were, and put them on the great stone: and the men of Beth Shemesh offered burnt offerings and sacrificed sacrifices the same day to Yahweh. (See NAS RSV)
2 Kings 9:1 And Elisha the prophet called one of the children of the prophets, and said unto him, Gird up thy loins, and take this box of oil in thine hand, and go to Ramothgilead: (KJV WBS)
2 Kings 9:3 Then take the box of oil, and pour it on his head, and say, Thus saith the LORD, I have anointed thee king over Israel. Then open the door, and flee, and tarry not. (KJV WBS)
Isaiah 41:19 I will put cedar, acacia, myrtle, and oil trees in the wilderness. I will set fir trees, pine, and box trees together in the desert; (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Isaiah 60:13 "The glory of Lebanon shall come to you, the fir tree, the pine, and the box tree together, to beautify the place of my sanctuary; and I will make the place of my feet glorious. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)