|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) That which holds anything tightly or supports it firmly; a bandage or a prop.
2. (n.) A cord, ligament, or rod, for producing or maintaining tension, as a cord on the side of a drum.
3. (n.) The state of being braced or tight; tension.
4. (n.) A piece of material used to transmit, or change the direction of, weight or pressure; any one of the pieces, in a frame or truss, which divide the structure into triangular parts. It may act as a tie, or as a strut, and serves to prevent distortion of the structure, and transverse strains in its members. A boiler brace is a diagonal stay, connecting the head with the shell.
5. (n.) A vertical curved line connecting two or more words or lines, which are to be taken together; thus, boll, bowl; or, in music, used to connect staves.
6. (n.) A rope reeved through a block at the end of a yard, by which the yard is moved horizontally; also, a rudder gudgeon.
7. (n.) A curved instrument or handle of iron or wood, for holding and turning bits, etc.; a bitstock.
8. (n.) A pair; a couple; as, a brace of ducks; now rarely applied to persons, except familiarly or with some contempt.
9. (n.) Straps or bands to sustain trousers; suspenders.
10. (n.) Harness; warlike preparation.
11. (n.) Armor for the arm; vantbrace.
12. (n.) The mouth of a shaft.
13. (v. t.) To furnish with braces; to support; to prop; as, to brace a beam in a building.
14. (v. t.) To draw tight; to tighten; to put in a state of tension; to strain; to strengthen; as, to brace the nerves.
15. (v. t.) To bind or tie closely; to fasten tightly.
16. (v. t.) To place in a position for resisting pressure; to hold firmly; as, he braced himself against the crowd.
17. (v. t.) To move around by means of braces; as, to brace the yards.
18. (v. i.) To get tone or vigor; to rouse one's energies; -- with up.
Brace (3 Occurrences)
Job 38:3 Brace yourself like a man, for I will question you, then you answer me! (WEB NIV)
Job 40:7 "Now brace yourself like a man. I will question you, and you will answer me. (WEB NIV)
Nahum 2:1 He who dashes in pieces has come up against you. Keep the fortress! Watch the way! Strengthen your waist! Fortify your power mightily! (See NIV)