|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) A burning piece of wood; or a stick or piece of wood partly burnt, whether burning or after the fire is extinct.
2. (n.) A sword, so called from its glittering or flashing brightness.
3. (n.) A mark made by burning with a hot iron, as upon a cask, to designate the quality, manufacturer, etc., of the contents, or upon an animal, to designate ownership; -- also, a mark for a similar purpose made in any other way, as with a stencil. Hence, figuratively: Quality; kind; grade; as, a good brand of flour.
4. (n.) A mark put upon criminals with a hot iron. Hence: Any mark of infamy or vice; a stigma.
5. (n.) An instrument to brand with; a branding iron.
6. (v. t.) Any minute fungus which produces a burnt appearance in plants. The brands are of many species and several genera of the order Pucciniaei.
7. (v. t.) To burn a distinctive mark into or upon with a hot iron, to indicate quality, ownership, etc., or to mark as infamous (as a convict).
8. (v. t.) To put an actual distinctive mark upon in any other way, as with a stencil, to show quality of contents, name of manufacture, etc.
9. (v. t.) Fig.: To fix a mark of infamy, or a stigma, upon.
10. (v. t.) To mark or impress indelibly, as with a hot iron.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
In the double signification of an object on fire and of objects used to feed a fire. The first meaning is expressed by 'udh, "a bent stick" for stirring fire (Amos 4:11 Zechariah 3:2; compare Isaiah 7:4); the second by lappidh, in Judges 15:4, 5. A third meaning is found in ziqah, indicating the brand as a spreader of fire (Proverbs 26:18).
Brand (4 Occurrences)
Job 12:5 In the thought of him that is at ease there is contempt for misfortune; It is ready for them whose foot slippeth. (See JPS)
Isaiah 3:24 It shall happen that instead of sweet spices, there shall be rottenness; instead of a belt, a rope; instead of well set hair, baldness; instead of a robe, a girding of sackcloth; and branding instead of beauty. (Root in WEB JPS ASV DBY NAS NIV)
Amos 4:11 I have overthrown some of you, as God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, and ye were as a firebrand plucked out of the burning: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD. (Root in KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Zechariah 3:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire? (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)