|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To produce as offspring; to bring forth; to bear; to procreate; to generate; to beget; to hatch.
2. (v. t.) To take care of in infancy, and through the age of youth; to bring up; to nurse and foster.
3. (v. t.) To educate; to instruct; to form by education; to train; -- sometimes followed by up.
4. (v. t.) To engender; to cause; to occasion; to originate; to produce; as, to breed a storm; to breed disease.
5. (v. t.) To give birth to; to be the native place of; as, a pond breeds fish; a northern country breeds stout men.
6. (v. t.) To raise, as any kind of stock.
7. (v. t.) To produce or obtain by any natural process.
8. (v. i.) To bear and nourish young; to reproduce or multiply itself; to be pregnant.
9. (v. i.) To be formed in the parent or dam; to be generated, or to grow, as young before birth.
10. (v. i.) To have birth; to be produced or multiplied.
11. (v. i.) To raise a breed; to get progeny.
12. (n.) A race or variety of men or other animals (or of plants), perpetuating its special or distinctive characteristics by inheritance.
13. (n.) Class; sort; kind; -- of men, things, or qualities.
14. (n.) A number produced at once; a brood.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
bred: Found in the past tense in Exodus 16:20 as a translation of rum = "to bring up," "to rise." In this verse, the manna is said to have arisen, i.e. "become alive" (with worms), to indicate that God's gifts are spoiled by selfish and miserly hoarding. The pres. act. occurs in Genesis 8:17 for sharats = "to wriggle," "swarm," "abound," hence, "breed abundantly"; and in Deuteronomy 32:14 for ben = "son," "descendant," "child," "colt," "calf," "breed." The present participle is found in Ze 2:9 the King James Version for mimshaq, a derivative of mesheq = "possession," "territory," "field." The passage in question should therefore be translated "field of nettles" (the Revised Version (British and American) "possession of nettles").
Frank E. Hirsch
Breed (6 Occurrences)
2 Timothy 2:23 But refuse foolish and ignorant questionings, knowing that they generate strife. (See RSV)
Genesis 4:20 And Adah bore Jabal: he was the father of those who dwell in tents, and breed cattle. (DBY)
Genesis 8:17 Bring forth with you every living thing that is with you of all flesh, including birds, livestock, and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, that they may breed abundantly in the earth, and be fruitful, and multiply on the earth." (WEB KJV ASV WBS NAS RSV)
Genesis 30:41 It happened, whenever the stronger of the flock conceived, that Jacob laid the rods before the eyes of the flock in the gutters, that they might conceive among the rods; (See RSV)
Deuteronomy 32:14 Butter of the herd, and milk of the flock, with fat of lambs, rams of the breed of Bashan, and goats, with the finest of the wheat. Of the blood of the grape you drank wine. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS)
Job 21:10 Their bulls breed without fail. Their cows calve, and don't miscarry. (WEB RSV NIV)