|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) The young birds hatched at one time; a hatch; as, a brood of chickens.
2. (n.) The young from the same dam, whether produced at the same time or not; young children of the same mother, especially if nearly of the same age; offspring; progeny; as, a woman with a brood of children.
3. (v. t.) That which is bred or produced; breed; species.
4. (v. t.) Heavy waste in tin and copper ores.
5. (a.) Sitting or inclined to sit on eggs.
6. (a.) Kept for breeding from; as, a brood mare; brood stock; having young; as, a brood sow.
7. (v. i.) To sit on and cover eggs, as a fowl, for the purpose of warming them and hatching the young; or to sit over and cover young, as a hen her chickens, in order to warm and protect them; hence, to sit quietly, as if brooding.
8. (v. i.) To have the mind dwell continuously or moodily on a subject; to think long and anxiously; to be in a state of gloomy, serious thought; -- usually followed by over or on; as, to brood over misfortunes.
9. (v. t.) To sit over, cover, and cherish; as, a hen broods her chickens.
10. (v. t.) To cherish with care.
11. (v. t.) To think anxiously or moodily upon.
Brood (19 Occurrences)
Matthew 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he exclaimed, "O vipers' brood, who has warned you to flee from the coming wrath? (WEY YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 12:34 O vipers' brood, how can you speak what is good when you are evil? For it is from the overflow of the heart that the mouth speaks. (WEY YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 23:33 O serpents, O vipers' brood, how are you to escape condemnation to Gehenna? (WEY YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 23:37 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets, and stones those who are sent to her! How often I would have gathered your children together, even as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you would not! (See RSV)
Luke 3:7 Accordingly John used to say to the crowds who came out to be baptized by him, "O vipers' brood, who has warned you to flee from the coming wrath? (WEY YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 13:34 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that kills the prophets, and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, like a hen gathers her own brood under her wings, and you refused! (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
1 Corinthians 13:5 She does not behave unbecomingly, nor seek to aggrandize herself, nor blaze out in passionate anger, nor brood over wrongs. (WEY)
2 Peter 2:14 having eyes full of adultery, and who can't cease from sin; enticing unsettled souls; having a heart trained in greed; children of cursing; (See NIV)
Numbers 32:14 And, behold, ye are risen up in your fathers'stead, an increase of sinful men, to augment yet the fierce anger of Jehovah toward Israel. (See JPS NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 22:6 When a bird's nest cometh before thee in the way, in any tree, or on the earth, brood or eggs, and the mother sitting on the brood or on the eggs, thou dost not take the mother with the young ones; (YLT)
Job 30:8 They are children of fools, yes, children of base men. They were flogged out of the land. (See RSV NIV)
Job 30:12 At my right hand rise the young brood; they push away my feet, and raise up against me their pernicious ways; (DBY JPS YLT NAS)
Job 39:30 And his brood gulph up blood, And where the pierced 'are' -- there 'is' he! (YLT)
Psalms 84:3 (Even a sparrow hath found a house, And a swallow a nest for herself, Where she hath placed her brood,) Thine altars, O Jehovah of Hosts, My king and my God. (YLT)
Isaiah 1:4 O nation full of sin, a people weighted down with crime, a generation of evil-doers, false-hearted children: they have gone away from the Lord, they have no respect for the Holy One of Israel, their hearts are turned back from him. (See NIV)
Isaiah 2:6 For thou hast forsaken thy people the house of Jacob, because they are filled with customs from the east, and are'soothsayers like the Philistines, and they strike hands with the children of foreigners. (See JPS)
Isaiah 34:15 There shall the dart-snake make her nest, and lay, and hatch, and gather under her shade; yea, there shall the kites be gathered, every one with her mate. (See JPS)
Isaiah 57:4 Of whom do you make sport? against whom is your mouth open wide and your tongue put out? are you not uncontrolled children, a false seed, (See NIV)
Jeremiah 17:11 As the partridge that broodeth over young which she hath not brought forth, so is he that getteth riches, and not by right; in the midst of his days he shall leave them, and at his end he shall be a fool. (Root in JPS RSV)