|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To injure, as by a blow or collision, without laceration; to contuse; as, to bruise one's finger with a hammer; to bruise the bark of a tree with a stone; to bruise an apple by letting it fall.
2. (v. t.) To break; as in a mortar; to bray, as minerals, roots, etc.; to crush.
3. (v. i.) To fight with the fists; to box.
4. (n.) An injury to the flesh of animals, or to plants, fruit, etc., with a blunt or heavy instrument, or by collision with some other body; a contusion; as, a bruise on the head; bruises on fruit.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
brooz, broozd: The noun occurs in Isaiah 1:6 the King James Version, "bruises and putrifying sores," as the translation of chabbarah. The verb translations a number of Hebrew words, the principal ones being:
(1) shuph (Genesis 3:15 (twice));
(2) daqaq (Isaiah 28:28 (twice) (the American Standard Revised Version "ground," "and though the wheel of his cart and his horses scatter it, he doth not grind it" for the King James Version "nor break it with the wheels of his cart, nor bruise it with his horsemen"));
(3) dakha', in the classical passage, Isaiah 53:5, "He was bruised for our iniquities," Isaiah 53:10, "Yet it pleased Yahweh to bruise him";
(4) ratsats, "A bruised reed shall he not break," Isaiah 42:3 (quoted in Matthew 12:20).
In the New Testament bruise is the translation of sparasso, "to rend" (the American Standard Revised Version "bruising him sorely") Luke 9:39; of suntribo, "to break to pieces" (Matthew 12:20); "shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly" (Romans 16:20); of thrauo in Luke 4:18 in the quotation from Isaiah 58:6, "to set at liberty them that are bruised" (WH omits the verse).
Arthur J. Kinsella
Bruise (19 Occurrences)
Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen. (KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Genesis 3:15 I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring. He will bruise your head, and you will bruise his heel." (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Exodus 21:25 burning for burning, wound for wound, and bruise for bruise. (WEB NAS NIV)
Job 4:19 Also -- the inhabitants of houses of clay, (Whose foundation 'is' in the dust, They bruise them before a moth.) (YLT)
Job 6:9 That God would please -- and bruise me, Loose His hand and cut me off! (YLT)
Job 19:2 Till when do ye afflict my soul, And bruise me with words? (YLT)
Psalms 94:5 Thy people, O Jehovah, they bruise, And Thine inheritance they afflict. (YLT)
Proverbs 22:22 Rob not the poor because he 'is' poor, And bruise not the afflicted in the gate. (YLT)
Isaiah 1:6 From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrifying sores: they have not been closed, neither bound up, neither mollified with ointment. (Root in KJV JPS ASV WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Isaiah 3:15 What -- to you? ye bruise My people, And the faces of the poor ye grind.' An affirmation of the Lord, Jehovah of Hosts, And Jehovah saith: (YLT)
Isaiah 28:28 Bread corn is bruised; because he will not ever be threshing it, nor break it with the wheel of his cart, nor bruise it with his horsemen. (Root in KJV WBS)
Isaiah 30:26 Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that Jehovah bindeth up the hurt of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound. (See JPS NAS NIV)
Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. (Root in KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Isaiah 53:10 Yet it pleased Yahweh to bruise him. He has caused him to suffer. When you make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed. He shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of Yahweh shall prosper in his hand. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Jeremiah 30:12 For thus saith the LORD, Thy bruise is incurable, and thy wound is grievous. (KJV DBY WBS)
Jeremiah 30:15 Why criest thou because of thy bruise? thy sorrow is incurable; for the greatness of thine iniquity, because thy sins are manifold, I have done these things unto thee. (DBY)
Lamentations 3:34 To bruise under one's feet any bound ones of earth, (YLT)
Daniel 2:40 And the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: forasmuch as iron breaketh in pieces and subdueth all things: and as iron that breaketh all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise. (KJV DBY WBS)
Nahum 3:19 There is no healing of thy bruise; thy wound is grievous: all that hear the bruit of thee shall clap the hands over thee: for upon whom hath not thy wickedness passed continually? (KJV WBS)