|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (a.) Not having sensation; senseless; inanimate; unconscious; without intelligence or volition; as, the brute earth; the brute powers of nature.
2. (a.) Not possessing reason, irrational; unthinking; as, a brute beast; the brute creation.
3. (a.) Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of, a brute beast. Hence: Brutal; cruel; fierce; ferocious; savage; pitiless; as, brute violence.
4. (a.) Having the physical powers predominating over the mental; coarse; unpolished; unintelligent.
5. (a.) Rough; uncivilized; unfeeling.
6. (n.) An animal destitute of human reason; any animal not human; esp. a quadruped; a beast.
7. (n.) A brutal person; a savage in heart or manners; as unfeeling or coarse person.
8. (v. t.) To report; to bruit.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
broot, brootish (ba`ar, "stupid"; alogos, "without speech," hence, irrational, unreasonable (Acts 25:27 2 Peter 2:12 Jude 1:10 the King James Version)): The man who denies God acts in an irrational way. Such persons are described as brutish (Psalm 49:10; Psalm 92:6; Psalm 94:8 Jeremiah 10:14, 21; Jeremiah 51:17). These are stupid, unteachable. This is a graphic description of the atheist. The proverb, "No fool like the learned fool," is especially true of the ignorance of the unbelievers of the Scriptures. Their obj ections to the Bible, as a rule, are utterly ridiculous. The word is occasionally used in the sense of thoughtless ignorance. Brutish counsel is counsel that is foolish, unreasonable (Isaiah 19:11). The term is used by Agur (Proverbs 30:2) to express the low estimate he has of himself and his conscious lack of knowledge.
Jacob W. Kapp
Brute (4 Occurrences)
James 3:7 For brute nature under all its forms--beasts and birds, reptiles and fishes--can be subjected and kept in subjection by human nature. (WEY)
2 Peter 2:12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption; (KJV WEY WBS NIV)
Jude 1:10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves. (KJV WEY WBS)
Psalms 73:22 I was so senseless and ignorant. I was a brute beast before you. (WEB NIV)