|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
(Hebrews hemah), curdled milk (Genesis 18:8; Judges 5:25; 2 Samuel 17:29), or butter in the form of the skim of hot milk or cream, called by the Arabs kaimak, a semi-fluid (Job 20:17; 29:6; Deuteronomy 32:14). The words of Proverbs 30:33 have been rendered by some "the pressure [not churning] of milk bringeth forth cheese."
Noah Webster's Dictionary
1. (n.) An oily, unctuous substance obtained from cream or milk by churning.
2. (n.) Any substance resembling butter in degree of consistence, or other qualities, especially, in old chemistry, the chlorides, as butter of antimony, sesquichloride of antimony; also, certain concrete fat oils remaining nearly solid at ordinary temperatures, as butter of cacao, vegetable butter, shea butter.
3. (v. t.) To cover or spread with butter.
4. (v. t.) To increase, as stakes, at every throw or every game.
5. (n.) One who, or that which, butts.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
Butter (10 Occurrences)
Genesis 18:8 He took butter, milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them. He stood by them under the tree, and they ate. (WEB KJV ASV BBE WBS YLT)
Deuteronomy 32:14 Butter of the herd, and milk of the flock, with fat of lambs, rams of the breed of Bashan, and goats, with the finest of the wheat. Of the blood of the grape you drank wine. (WEB KJV ASV BBE WBS YLT)
Judges 5:25 He asked for water. She gave him milk. She brought him butter in a lordly dish. (WEB KJV ASV BBE WBS YLT)
2 Samuel 17:29 and honey, and butter, and sheep, and cheese of the herd, for David, and for the people who were with him, to eat: for they said, "The people are hungry, and weary, and thirsty, in the wilderness." (WEB KJV ASV BBE WBS YLT)
Job 20:17 He shall not look at the rivers, the flowing streams of honey and butter. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Job 29:6 when my steps were washed with butter, and the rock poured out streams of oil for me, (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS YLT NAS)
Psalms 55:21 His mouth was smooth as butter, but his heart was war. His words were softer than oil, yet they were drawn swords. (WEB KJV ASV BBE WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Proverbs 30:33 For as the churning of milk brings forth butter, and the wringing of the nose brings forth blood; so the forcing of wrath brings forth strife." (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Isaiah 7:15 He shall eat butter and honey when he knows to refuse the evil, and choose the good. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT)
Isaiah 7:22 and it shall happen, that because of the abundance of milk which they shall give he shall eat butter: for everyone will eat butter and honey that is left in the midst of the land. (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT)