|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) The quality, state, or condition, of being certain.
2. (n.) A fact or truth unquestionable established.
3. (n.) Clearness; freedom from ambiguity; lucidity.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
CERTAIN; CERTAINLY; CERTAINTY
ser'-tin, ser'-tin-li, ser'tin-ti: The rendering of some Hebrew words and forms expressive of what is definitely settled or determined.
(1) Translation of the Hebrew nakhon, "to be established" or "fixed," as in Deuteronomy 13:14 (Hebrew 15); Deuteronomy 17:4; 1 Samuel 23:23 (of Exodus 16:4, "a certain rate every day" the King James Version). In the New Testament it is the rendering of asphales, asphaleia, from "a" privative and sphallein, "to shake" or "move"; as in Luke 1:4, "the certainty of those things" = actual circumstances; Acts 21:34; Acts 22:30; Acts 25:26.
(2) The word "certain" is also employed in the Old Testament to bring out the force of the absolute infinitive form used with the finite verb to express emphasis or to strengthen the idea of the main verb (Kautzsch-Gesenius, Hebrew Grammar, translation Collins-Cowley, 357, 3). Such usage occurs in Genesis 18:10 Joshua 9:24 Leviticus 5:19; Leviticus 24:16 1 Samuel 20:3 the King James Version; 1 Kings 2:37 Jeremiah 26:15; Jeremiah 36:29; Jeremiah 42:19, 22; 44:17:00.
(3) The word "certain" is also made auxiliary to bring out the force of such expressions as the Hebrew yatsabh, "to be firm," as in Daniel 2:8; also in the New Testament, of the verb astatein as in 1 Corinthians 4:11, "have no certain dwelling-place."
(4) Mention might be made also of "certain" as the rendering of sundry words, as 'akh, in Lamentations 2:16; ki, in Exodus 3:12; and ontos, in Luke 23:47, all being expressions for what is sure, beyond doubt.
W. N. Stearns
Certainty (23 Occurrences)
Luke 1:4 that you might know the certainty concerning the things in which you were instructed. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NIV)
John 17:8 Because I have given them the words which you gave to me; and they have taken them to heart, and have certain knowledge that I came from you, and they have faith that you sent me. (See NIV)
Acts 12:11 And when Peter had come to himself, he said, Now I know with certainty, that the Lord hath sent his angel, and hath delivered me out of the hand of Herod, and from all the expectation of the people of the Jews. (WBS)
Acts 21:34 And some cried one thing, some another, among the multitude: and when he could not know the certainty for the tumult, he commanded him to be carried into the castle. (KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Acts 22:30 On the morrow, because he would have known the certainty wherefore he was accused of the Jews, he loosed him from his bands, and commanded the chief priests and all their council to appear, and brought Paul down, and set him before them. (KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Acts 23:28 And, wishing to know with certainty the offense of which they were accusing him, I brought him down into their Sanhedrin, (WEY)
Acts 24:8 having commanded his accusers to come to thee; of whom thou canst thyself, in examining him, know the certainty of all these things of which we accuse him. (DBY)
1 Corinthians 9:24 Do you not know that in the foot-race the runners all run, but that only one gets the prize? You must run like him, in order to win with certainty. (WEY)
Ephesians 5:5 Being certain of this, that no man who gives way to the passions of the flesh, no unclean person, or one who has desire for the property of others, or who gives worship to images, has any heritage in the kingdom of Christ and God. (See NAS)
Colossians 2:2 in order that their hearts may be cheered, they themselves being welded together in love and enjoying all the advantages of a reasonable certainty, till at last they attain the full knowledge of God's truth, which is Christ Himself. (WEY)
1 Thessalonians 1:5 The Good News that we brought you did not come to you in words only, but also with power and with the Holy Spirit and with much certainty, for you know the sort of men we became among you, as examples for your sakes. (WEY)
Joshua 9:24 And they answered Joshua, and said: 'Because it was certainly told thy servants, how that the LORD thy God commanded His servant Moses to give you all the land, and to destroy all the inhabitants of the land from before you; therefore we were sore afraid for our lives because of you, and have done this thing. (See RSV)
Joshua 23:13 know for a certainty that Yahweh your God will no longer drive these nations from out of your sight; but they shall be a snare and a trap to you, a scourge in your sides, and thorns in your eyes, until you perish from off this good land which Yahweh your God has given you. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS)
1 Samuel 20:9 And Jonathan said, Far be it from thee; for, if I knew with certainty that evil were determined by my father to come upon thee, would I not tell it thee? (DBY)
1 Samuel 23:23 See therefore, and take knowledge of all the lurking places where he hides himself, and come again to me with certainty, and I will go with you: and it shall happen, if he is in the land, that I will search him out among all the thousands of Judah." (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS NAS)
1 Samuel 26:4 David therefore sent out spies, and understood that Saul was come of a certainty. (ASV JPS RSV)
Psalms 5:9 For there is no certainty in their mouth; their inward part is perversion, their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue. (DBY)
Proverbs 22:21 That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth; that thou mightest answer the words of truth to them that send unto thee? (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Jeremiah 42:19 Jehovah hath spoken against you, O remnant of Judah, do not enter Egypt: know certainly that I have testified against you to-day; (See RSV)
Jeremiah 42:22 And now, know ye certainly that by sword, by famine, and by pestilence ye die, in the place that ye have desired to go in to sojourn there.' (See RSV)
Daniel 2:8 The king answered, I know of a certainty that you would gain time, because you see the thing is gone from me. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS RSV)
Daniel 7:16 I came near unto one of them that stood by, and asked him the certainty of all this. And he told me, and made me know the interpretation of the things: (DBY YLT)
Daniel 7:19 Then I desired to know the certainty concerning the fourth beast, which was different from them all, exceeding dreadful, whose teeth were of iron, and its nails of brass; which devoured, broke in pieces, and stamped the rest with its feet; (DBY YLT)