|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) An invitation to engage in a contest or controversy of any kind; a defiance; specifically, a summons to fight a duel; also, the letter or message conveying the summons.
2. (n.) The act of a sentry in halting any one who appears at his post, and demanding the countersign.
3. (n.) A claim or demand.
4. (n.) The opening and crying of hounds at first finding the scent of their game.
5. (n.) An exception to a juror or to a member of a court martial, coupled with a demand that he should be held incompetent to act; the claim of a party that a certain person or persons shall not sit in trial upon him or his cause.
6. (n.) An exception to a person as not legally qualified to vote. The challenge must be made when the ballot is offered.
7. (n.) To call to a contest of any kind; to call to answer; to defy.
8. (n.) To call, invite, or summon to answer for an offense by personal combat.
9. (n.) To claim as due; to demand as a right.
10. (n.) To censure; to blame.
11. (n.) To question or demand the countersign from (one who attempts to pass the lines); as, the sentinel challenged us, with Who comes there?
12. (n.) To take exception to; question; as, to challenge the accuracy of a statement or of a quotation.
13. (n.) To object to or take exception to, as to a juror, or member of a court.
14. (n.) To object to the reception of the vote of, as on the ground that the person in not qualified as a voter.
15. (v. i.) To assert a right; to claim a place.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
chal'-enj: Only in Exodus 22:9, where the King James Version has taken Hebrew 'amar, "say," in the sense of "claim." the Revised Version (British and American) "whereof one saith, This is it," points more definitely to the idea of identification of the stolen personal property.
Challenge (6 Occurrences)
Luke 20:40 From that time, however, no one ventured to challenge Him with a single question. (WEY)
2 Kings 14:8 Then Amaziah sent messengers to Jehoash, the son of Jehoahaz son of Jehu, king of Israel, saying, "Come, let us look one another in the face." (See NIV)
2 Chronicles 25:17 Then Amaziah king of Judah took advice, and sent to Joash, the son of Jehoahaz the son of Jehu, king of Israel, saying, Come, let us look one another in the face. (See NIV)
Jeremiah 49:19 Lo, as a lion he cometh up, Because of the rising of the Jordan, Unto the enduring habitation, But I cause to rest, I cause him to run from off her, And who is chosen? concerning her I lay a charge, For who is like Me? and who conveneth Me? And who 'is' this shepherd who standeth before Me? (See NIV)
Jeremiah 50:44 Lo, as a lion he cometh up, Because of the rising of the Jordan, Unto the enduring habitation, But I cause to rest, I cause them to run from off her. And who is chosen? on her I lay a charge, For who 'is' like Me? And who doth convene Me? And who 'is' this shepherd who standeth before Me? (See NIV)
Malachi 3:15 Now we call the proud happy; yes, those who work wickedness are built up; yes, they tempt God, and escape.' (See NIV)