|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To render unable to breathe by filling, pressing upon, or squeezing the windpipe; to stifle; to suffocate; to strangle.
2. (v. t.) To obstruct by filling up or clogging any passage; to block up.
3. (v. t.) To hinder or check, as growth, expansion, progress, etc.; to stifle.
4. (v. t.) To affect with a sense of strangulation by passion or strong feeling.
5. (v. t.) To make a choke, as in a cartridge, or in the bore of the barrel of a shotgun.
6. (v. i.) To have the windpipe stopped; to have a spasm of the throat, caused by stoppage or irritation of the windpipe; to be strangled.
7. (v. i.) To be checked, as if by choking; to stick.
8. (n.) A stoppage or irritation of the windpipe, producing the feeling of strangulation.
9. (n.) The tied end of a cartridge.
10. (n.) A constriction in the bore of a shotgun, case of a rocket, etc.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
chok (pnigo, and its compounds): Is used in its primary sense of "to strangle," or "to suffocate," in describing the fate of the swine (Luke 8:33 the King James Version). The Revised Version (British and American) has "drowned," but "choked" is the correct rendering of the Greek word.
Figurative: It is used in the sense of "to strangle" "smother," "suffocate," as if by depriving of breath, in describing the fate of the young grain growing in the midst of thorns (Matthew 13:7). The figurative is carried a little farther still in describing the way the word, planted in the heart, is overcome by the care of the world, and the deceitfulness of riches (Matthew 13:22).
A. W. Fortune
Choke (6 Occurrences)
Matthew 13:7 Others fell among thorns. The thorns grew up and choked them. (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 13:22 What was sown among the thorns, this is he who hears the word, but the cares of this age and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 18:28 "But that servant went out, and found one of his fellow servants, who owed him one hundred denarii, and he grabbed him, and took him by the throat, saying,'Pay me what you owe!' (See NAS NIV)
Mark 4:7 Others fell among the thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit. (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Mark 4:19 and the cares of this age, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 8:7 Other fell amid the thorns, and the thorns grew with it, and choked it. (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)