|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) The act of granting authority; also a sales fee to a brokerage.
2. (n.) The act of intrusting; a charge; instructions as to how a trust shall be executed.
3. (n.) The duty or employment entrusted to any person or persons; a trust; a charge.
4. (n.) A formal written warrant or authority, granting certain powers or privileges and authorizing or commanding the performance of certain duties.
5. (n.) A certificate conferring military or naval rank and authority; as, a colonel's commission.
6. (n.) A company of persons joined in the performance of some duty or the execution of some trust; as, the interstate commerce commission.
7. (n.) The acting under authority of, or on account of, another.
8. (n.) The thing to be done as agent for another; as, I have three commissions for the city.
9. (n.) The brokerage or allowance made to a factor or agent for transacting business for another; as, a commission of ten per cent on sales. See Del credere.
10. (v. t.) To give a commission to; to furnish with a commission; to empower or authorize; as, to commission persons to perform certain acts; to commission an officer.
11. (v. t.) To send out with a charge or commission.
Commission (11 Occurrences)
Matthew 13:41 The Son of Man will commission His angels, and they will gather out of His Kingdom all causes of sin and all who violate His laws; (WEY)
Acts 26:12 "Whereupon as I traveled to Damascus with the authority and commission from the chief priests, (WEB KJV WEY ASV WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Corinthians 9:17 For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward. But if not of my own will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me. (See RSV)
2 Corinthians 8:19 And more than that, he is the one who was chosen by the vote of the Churches to travel with us, sharing our commission in the administration of this generous gift to promote the Lord's glory and gratify our own strong desire. (WEY)
Colossians 1:25 of which I -- I did become a ministrant according to the dispensation of God, that was given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God, (See NIV)
Numbers 27:19 and set him before Eleazar the priest, and before all the congregation; and commission him in their sight. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Deuteronomy 3:28 But commission Joshua, and encourage him, and strengthen him; for he shall go over before this people, and he shall cause them to inherit the land which you shall see." (WEB NIV)
Deuteronomy 31:14 Yahweh said to Moses, "Behold, your days approach that you must die: call Joshua, and present yourselves in the Tent of Meeting, that I may commission him." Moses and Joshua went, and presented themselves in the Tent of Meeting. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Ezra 8:17 And I gave them a commission to Iddo the chief, at the place Casiphia, and I put words in their mouths to say to Iddo and his brethren the Nethinim, at the place Casiphia, that they should bring to us ministers for the house of our God. (DBY)
Isaiah 10:6 I will send him against a nation of wrongdoers, and against the people of my wrath I will give him orders, to take their wealth in war, crushing them down like the dust in the streets. (See NAS)
Haggai 1:13 Then Haggai, Yahweh's messenger, spoke Yahweh's message to the people, saying, "I am with you," says Yahweh. (See NAS)