|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To pronounce to be wrong; to disapprove of; to censure.
2. (v. t.) To declare the guilt of; to make manifest the faults or unworthiness of; to convict of guilt.
3. (v. t.) To pronounce a judicial sentence against; to sentence to punishment, suffering, or loss; to doom; -- with to before the penalty.
4. (v. t.) To amerce or fine; -- with in before the penalty.
5. (v. t.) To adjudge or pronounce to be unfit for use or service; to adjudge or pronounce to be forfeited; as, the ship and her cargo were condemned.
6. (v. t.) To doom to be taken for public use, under the right of eminent domain.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
1. In the Old Testament:
(1) The causative stem of rasha` "to declare (or make) wrong," "to condemn," whether in civil, ethical or religious relations. Taken in this sense the word needs no comment (Exodus 22:9 Deuteronomy 25:1 Job 40:8); "Who then can condemn?" (Job 34:29, the King James Version "make trouble").
(2) `anash, "to fine." "Condemned the land" (2 Chronicles 36:3 the King James Version; the King James Version margin "mulcted"; the Revised Version (British and American) "amerced"; the American Standard Revised Version "fined"); "wine of the condemned" (Amos 2:8; the Revised Version (British and American) "fined" (unjustly)).
(3) The active participle of shaphaT, "to judge." "From those that condemn his soul" (Psalm 109:31 the King James Version; the Revised Version (British and American) "that judge his soul").
2. In the New Testament:
The New Testament usage is much more complicated, both because of the greater number of Greek words rendered "condemn" and "condemnation," and because the King James Version translates the same word in several different ways, apparently with no rule whatever.
(1) The most important word is krino, "to judge." From it are a number of derivative verbs and nouns. the Revised Version (British and American) has rigidly excluded the harsh words "damn" and "damnation," substituting "judge," "condemn," "judgment," "condemnation." This is proper, since the word damn (Latin, damnare, "to inflict loss" upon a person, "to condemn"), and its derivatives has, in process of time, suffered degradation, so that in modern English it usually refers to eternal punishment. This special application of the word for some centuries ran side by side with the original meaning, but even as late as Wycliffe's version the word "damn" is usually employed in the sense of condemn, as in Job 9:20, "My mouth shall dampne me." It is even applied to the condemnation of Jesus by the chief priests and scribes (Mark 10:33). This degeneration of the word is perhaps due, as Bishop Sanderson says, "not so much to good acts as to bad manners." Krino is rendered uniformly "judge" by the Revised Version (British and American), even where the context. compels the thought of condemnation (John 3:17, 18; John 12:47 Acts 7:7; "might be damned," 2 Thessalonians 2:12 the King James Version; Romans 14:22 James 5:9).
(2) The more specific sense of condemn, however, is found in katakrino, "to judge one down" (Matthew 12:41, 42 Mark 14:64): "is damned if he eat" (Romans 14:23 1 Corinthians 11:32 the King James Version; the Revised Version (British and American) "condemned"). See also Mark 16:16 2 Peter 2:6.
(3) For "condemnation" there is the noun krima, or krima (for accent see Thayer's Lexicon), in a forensic sense, "the sentence of the judge" (Luke 23:40 Matthew 23:14, omitted in the Revised Version (British and American); "condemnation of the devil" 1 Timothy 3:6; 1 Timothy 5:12 Jude 1:4).
(4) Much stronger is katakrima, "condemnation" (Romans 5:16, 18; Romans 8:1) with reference to the Divine judgment against sin.
(5) krisis, "the process of judgment," "tribunal" (John 3:19; John 5:24), with reference to "the judgment brought by men upon themselves because of their rejection of Christ."
(6) A stronger word is the adjective autokatakritos, "self-condemned" (Titus 3:11; compare 1 John 3:20, 21).
G. H. Trever
Condemn (43 Occurrences)
Matthew 12:41 The men of Nineveh will stand up in the judgment with this generation, and will condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, someone greater than Jonah is here. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 12:42 The queen of the south will rise up in the judgment with this generation, and will condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, someone greater than Solomon is here. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 20:18 "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be delivered to the chief priests and scribes, and they will condemn him to death, (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 20:19 and they shall condemn him to death, and shall deliver him to the nations to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify, and the third day he will rise again.' (YLT)
Mark 10:33 "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem. The Son of Man will be delivered to the chief priests and the scribes. They will condemn him to death, and will deliver him to the Gentiles. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 6:37 Don't judge, and you won't be judged. Don't condemn, and you won't be condemned. Set free, and you will be set free. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 11:31 The Queen of the South will rise up in the judgment with the men of this generation, and will condemn them: for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, one greater than Solomon is here. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 11:32 The men of Nineveh will stand up in the judgment with this generation, and will condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, one greater than Jonah is here. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 19:22 "He said to him,'Out of your own mouth will I judge you, you wicked servant! You knew that I am an exacting man, taking up that which I didn't lay down, and reaping that which I didn't sow. (See RSV)
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. (KJV WBS RSV NIV)
John 7:51 "Does our law judge a man, unless it first hears from him personally and knows what he does?" (See NIV)
John 8:10 Jesus, standing up, saw her and said, "Woman, where are your accusers? Did no one condemn you?" (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
John 8:11 She said, "No one, Lord." Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more." (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
John 12:48 He who rejects me, and doesn't receive my sayings, has one who judges him. The word that I spoke, the same will judge him in the last day. (See NIV)
Romans 2:1 Therefore you are without excuse, O man, whoever you are who judge. For in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself. For you who judge practice the same things. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Romans 2:27 Won't the uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfills the law, judge you, who with the letter and circumcision are a transgressor of the law? (See RSV NIV)
Romans 8:3 For what the law couldn't do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God did, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh; (Root in WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Romans 8:34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, yes rather, who was raised from the dead, who is at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Romans 14:3 Don't let him who eats despise him who doesn't eat. Don't let him who doesn't eat judge him who eats, for God has accepted him. (See NIV)
Romans 14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. (Root in KJV WBS NAS NIV)
2 Corinthians 7:3 I say this not to condemn you, for I have said before, that you are in our hearts to die together and live together. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Hebrews 11:7 By faith, Noah, being warned about things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared a ship for the saving of his house, through which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
James 5:6 You have condemned, you have murdered the righteous one. He doesn't resist you. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Peter 2:6 and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, having made them an example to those who would live ungodly; (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 John 3:20 because if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 John 3:21 Beloved, if our hearts don't condemn us, we have boldness toward God; (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 22:9 For every matter of trespass, whether it be for ox, for donkey, for sheep, for clothing, or for any kind of lost thing, about which one says,'This is mine,' the cause of both parties shall come before God. He whom God condemns shall pay double to his neighbor. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Deuteronomy 25:1 If there be a controversy between men, and they come to judgment, and the judges judge them; then they shall justify the righteous, and condemn the wicked; (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Job 9:20 Though I am righteous, my own mouth shall condemn me. Though I am blameless, it shall prove me perverse. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Job 10:2 I will tell God,'Do not condemn me. Show me why you contend with me. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 32:3 Also his wrath was kindled against his three friends, because they had found no answer, and yet had condemned Job. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Job 34:17 Shall even one who hates justice govern? Will you condemn him who is righteous and mighty?- (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 34:29 When he gives quietness, who then can condemn? When he hides his face, who then can see him? Alike whether to a nation, or to a man, (WEB JPS ASV NAS RSV NIV)
Job 40:8 Will you even annul my judgment? Will you condemn me, that you may be justified? (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 10:13 Why does the wicked person condemn God, and say in his heart, "God won't call me into account?" (WEB)
Psalms 37:33 Yahweh will not leave him in his hand, nor condemn him when he is judged. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 94:21 They gather themselves together against the soul of the righteous, and condemn the innocent blood. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 109:7 When he shall be judged, let him be condemned: and let his prayer become sin. (Root in KJV JPS WBS NIV)
Psalms 109:31 For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor, to save him from those that condemn his soul. (KJV WBS RSV NIV)
Psalms 141:6 When destruction comes to their judges by the side of the rock, they will give ear to my words, for they are sweet. (See RSV)
Proverbs 12:2 A good man shall obtain favor from Yahweh, but he will condemn a man of wicked devices. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 50:9 Behold, the Lord Yahweh will help me; who is he who shall condemn me? Behold, all they shall wax old as a garment, the moth shall eat them up. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS NIV)
Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against you will prevail; and you will condemn every tongue that rises against you in judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of Yahweh, and their righteousness which is of me," says Yahweh. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS)