|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (a.) One who is united with others in a league, treaty, or alliance.
2. (a.) of or pertaining to the government of the eleven Southern States of the United States which (1860-1865) attempted to establish an independent nation styled the Confederate States of America; as, the Confederate congress; Confederate money.
3. (n.) One who is united with others in a league; a person or a nation engaged in a confederacy; an ally; also, an accomplice in a bad sense.
4. (n.) A name designating an adherent to the cause of the States which attempted to withdraw from the Union (1860-1865).
5. (v. t.) To unite in a league or confederacy; to ally.
6. (v. i.) To unite in a league; to join in a mutual contract or covenant; to band together.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
kon-fed'-er-at, kon-fed'-er-a-si: "Confederate" as an adjective in the sense of united or leagued is twice the translation of berith "covenant," in several instances translated "league" (Genesis 14:13, ba`al berith, "lord or master of a covenant," "an ally,") "these were confederate with Abram"; compare Psalm 83:5; once of nuach, "to rest," "Syria is confederate with Ephraim" (Isaiah 7:2, the Revised Version, margin "resteth on Ephraim"; also 1 Maccabees 10:47).
As a noun "confederate" occurs in 1 Maccabees 10:16, summachos, "confederates" (1 Maccabees 8:20, 24, 31; 14:40; 15:17).
Confederacy, as a "league," occurs as the translation of berith, "the men of thy confederacy" (Obad 1:7); as a conspiracy it occurs in Isaiah 8:12 twice, as translation of qesher from qashar, "to bind": "Say ye not, a confederate." Compare 2 Samuel 15:12 2 Kings 12:20, etc.
W. L. Walker
Confederate (3 Occurrences)
Genesis 14:13 And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram. (KJV JPS ASV WBS)
Psalms 83:5 For they have consulted together with one consent: they are confederate against thee: (KJV WBS)
Isaiah 7:2 And it was told the house of David, saying, Syria is confederate with Ephraim. And his heart was moved, and the heart of his people, as the trees of the wood are moved with the wind. (KJV JPS ASV WBS)