|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (superl.) Moderately cold; between warm and cold; lacking in warmth; producing or promoting coolness.
2. (superl.) Not ardent, warm, fond, or passionate; not hasty; deliberate; exercising self-control; self-possessed; dispassionate; indifferent; as, a cool lover; a cool debater.
3. (superl.) Not retaining heat; light; as, a cool dress.
4. (superl.) Manifesting coldness or dislike; chilling; apathetic; as, a cool manner.
5. (superl.) Quietly impudent; negligent of propriety in matters of minor importance, either ignorantly or willfully; presuming and selfish; audacious; as, cool behavior.
6. (superl.) Applied facetiously, in a vague sense, to a sum of money, commonly as if to give emphasis to the largeness of the amount.
7. (n.) A moderate state of cold; coolness; -- said of the temperature of the air between hot and cold; as, the cool of the day; the cool of the morning or evening.
8. (v. t.) To make cool or cold; to reduce the temperature of; as, ice cools water.
9. (v. t.) To moderate the heat or excitement of; to allay, as passion of any kind; to calm; to moderate.
10. (v. i.) To become less hot; to lose heat.
11. (v. i.) To lose the heat of excitement or passion; to become more moderate.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
kool (ruach, "wind"; katapsucho, "to cool down"): "Cool of the day" (Genesis 3:8, margin "wind"), when the evening breeze has tempered the heat of the day, enabling Orientals to walk abroad. "Cool my tongue" (Luke 16:24), a phrase reflecting the Jewish notion that Abraham had power to rescue his descendants from the fires of Hades.
Cool (8 Occurrences)
Luke 16:24 He cried and said,'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue! For I am in anguish in this flame.' (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Genesis 3:8 They heard the voice of Yahweh God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of Yahweh God among the trees of the garden. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Judges 3:20 Ehud came to him; and he was sitting by himself alone in the cool upper room. Ehud said, "I have a message from God to you." He arose out of his seat. (WEB JPS ASV DBY NAS RSV)
Judges 3:24 When he had gone, the servants came; and when they saw that the doors of the roof chamber were locked, they thought, "He is only relieving himself in the closet of the cool chamber." (DBY JPS NAS RSV)
Proverbs 17:27 He that spareth his words hath knowledge; And he that is of a cool spirit is a man of understanding. (ASV DBY YLT NAS RSV)
Song of Songs 2:17 Until the day is cool, and the shadows flee away, turn, my beloved, and be like a roe or a young hart on the mountains of Bether. (WEB ASV NAS)
Song of Songs 4:6 Until the day is cool, and the shadows flee away, I will go to the mountain of myrrh, to the hill of frankincense. (WEB ASV NAS)
Jeremiah 18:14 Shall the snow of Lebanon cease from the rock of the field? Shall the cool flowing waters coming from afar be dried up? (DBY NIV)