|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (a.) That which joins or links two things together; a bond or tie; a coupler.
2. (a.) Two of the same kind connected or considered together; a pair; a brace.
3. (n.) A male and female associated together; esp., a man and woman who are married or betrothed.
4. (a.) See Couple-close.
5. (a.) One of the pairs of plates of two metals which compose a voltaic battery; -- called a voltaic couple or galvanic couple.
6. (a.) Two rotations, movements, etc., which are equal in amount but opposite in direction, and acting along parallel lines or around parallel axes.
7. (v.) To link or tie, as one thing to another; to connect or fasten together; to join.
8. (v.) To join in wedlock; to marry.
9. (v. i.) To come together as male and female; to copulate.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) Used as a noun, indicates two objects of the same kind that are considered together. Thus we read of a couple of cakes (2 Samuel 13:6, used loosely), and a couple of asses (2 Samuel 16:1, Hebrew tsemedh).
(2) Used as a verb, it means to join or fasten one thing to another. This term occurs most frequently in the description of the tabernacle (see Exodus 26:6, 9, 11; Exodus 36:10, 13, 16). Couple is used in 1 Peter 3:2 to describe the joining of fear to chaste behavior (Hebrew chabhar).
Couple (19 Occurrences)
Matthew 14:17 "We have nothing here," they said, "but five loaves and a couple of fish." (WEY)
Mark 6:38 "How many loaves have you?" He inquired; "go and see." So they found out, and said, "Five; and a couple of fish." (WEY)
Luke 9:13 "You yourselves," He said, "must give them food." "We have nothing," they replied, "but five loaves and a couple of fish, unless indeed we were to go and buy provisions for all this host of people." (WEY)
John 6:9 "There is a boy here with five barley loaves and a couple of fish: but what is that among so many?" (WEY)
Exodus 26:6 You shall make fifty clasps of gold, and couple the curtains one to another with the clasps: and the tabernacle shall be a unit. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS RSV)
Exodus 26:9 You shall couple five curtains by themselves, and six curtains by themselves, and shall double over the sixth curtain in the forefront of the tent. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS RSV)
Exodus 26:11 You shall make fifty clasps of brass, and put the clasps into the loops, and couple the tent together, that it may be one. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS RSV)
Exodus 36:18 He made fifty clasps of brass to couple the tent together, that it might be a unit. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS RSV)
Exodus 39:4 They made shoulderpieces for it, to couple it together: by the two edges was it coupled together. (KJV WBS)
Judges 19:3 Her husband arose, and went after her, to speak kindly to her, to bring her again, having his servant with him, and a couple of donkeys: and she brought him into her father's house; and when the father of the young lady saw him, he rejoiced to meet him. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Judges 19:10 But the man wouldn't stay that night, but he rose up and departed, and came over against Jebus (the same is Jerusalem): and there were with him a couple of donkeys saddled; his concubine also was with him. (WEB JPS ASV DBY YLT RSV)
1 Samuel 11:7 and he taketh a couple of oxen, and cutteth them in pieces, and sendeth through all the border of Israel, by the hand of the messengers, saying, 'He who is not coming out after Saul and after Samuel -- thus it is done to his oxen;' and the fear of Jehovah falleth on the people, and they come out as one man. (YLT)
2 Samuel 13:6 So Amnon lay down and faked being sick. When the king came to see him, Amnon said to the king, "Please let my sister Tamar come, and make me a couple of cakes in my sight, that I may eat from her hand." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV)
2 Samuel 16:1 When David was a little past the top of the ascent, behold, Ziba the servant of Mephibosheth met him, with a couple of donkeys saddled, and on them two hundred loaves of bread, and one hundred clusters of raisins, and one hundred summer fruits, and a bottle of wine. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
1 Kings 17:12 She said, "As Yahweh your God lives, I don't have a cake, but a handful of meal in the jar, and a little oil in the jar. Behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and bake it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die." (See RSV)
2 Kings 5:17 And Naaman saith, 'If not -- let be given, I pray thee, to thy servant, a couple of mules' burden of earth, for thy servant doth make no more burnt-offering and sacrifice to other gods, but to Jehovah. (YLT)
Isaiah 21:7 And he saw a chariot with a couple of horsemen, a chariot of asses, and a chariot of camels; and he hearkened diligently with much heed: (KJV WBS YLT)
Isaiah 21:9 And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen; and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground. (KJV WBS YLT)
Amos 3:12 Thus said Jehovah: As the shepherd delivereth from the lion's mouth Two legs, or a piece of an ear, So delivered are the sons of Israel, Who are sitting in Samaria on the corner of a bed, And in Damascus 'on that of' a couch. (See NAS)