|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (a.) Running or moving rapidly.
2. (a.) Now passing, as time; as, the current month.
3. (a.) Passing from person to person, or from hand to hand; circulating through the community; generally received; common; as, a current coin; a current report; current history.
4. (a.) Commonly estimated or acknowledged.
5. (a.) Fitted for general acceptance or circulation; authentic; passable.
6. (n.) A flowing or passing; onward motion. Hence: A body of fluid moving continuously in a certain direction; a stream; esp., the swiftest part of it; as, a current of water or of air; that which resembles a stream in motion; as, a current of electricity.
7. (a.) General course; ordinary procedure; progressive and connected movement; as, the current of time, of events, of opinion, etc.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
kur'-ent (`obher, "passing," Genesis 28:16 2 Kings 12:4 (Hebrew 5)): The text and translation in 2 Kings 12:4 are uncertain and difficult. See the Revised Version margin. The reference is probably not to a money standard, but to a poll tax which was levied in addition to the free-will offering. Genesis 23:16 implies the existence of a standard shekel and also probably the use of the precious metals in stamped bars or ingots of an approximately fixed weight or value, a primitive coinage. Code of Hammurabi presupposes these pieces, and records in cuneiform writing discovered in Cappadocia indicate that shekel pieces with a seal stamp were in use in Asia Minor in the time of Hammurabi (Sayce, Contemporary Review, August, 1907, XCII, 259;). The existence of these pieces did not do away with the custom of weighing money, a practice which obtained in Israel down to the time of the exile (Jeremiah 32:10).
Walter R. Betteridge
See MONEY, CURRENT.
Current (4 Occurrences)
Matthew 28:15 So they took the money and did as they were instructed; and this story was noised about among the Jews, and is current to this day. (WEY BBE DBY)
Genesis 23:16 Abraham listened to Ephron. Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver which he had named in the audience of the children of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, according to the current merchants' standard. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS RSV NIV)
2 Kings 12:4 Jehoash said to the priests, "All the money of the holy things that is brought into the house of Yahweh, in current money, the money of the persons for whom each man is rated, and all the money that it comes into any man's heart to bring into the house of Yahweh, (WEB JPS ASV NAS)
Jonah 2:3 For you threw me into the depths, in the heart of the seas. The flood was all around me. All your waves and your billows passed over me. (See NAS NIV)