|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To engage in combat for; to strive for.
2. (v. t.) To contend for in words or arguments; to strive to maintain by reasoning; to dispute; to contest; to discuss; to argue for and against.
3. (v. i.) To engage in strife or combat; to fight.
4. (v. i.) To contend in words; to dispute; hence, to deliberate; to consider; to discuss or examine different arguments in the mind; -- often followed by on or upon.
5. (n.) A fight or fighting; contest; strife.
6. (v. t.) Contention in words or arguments; discussion for the purpose of elucidating truth or influencing action; strife in argument; controversy; as, the debates in Parliament or in Congress.
7. (v. t.) Subject of discussion.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
de-bat': This word is used only once in the Revised Version (British and American) (Proverbs 25:9). It evidently refers to the settling of a difficulty with a neighbor, and anticipates Matthew 18:15. It argues for and shows the advantage of private, peaceable settlement of difficulties. Compare Ecclesiasticus 28:9, and see MAKEBATES.
Debate (13 Occurrences)
John 6:52 This led to an angry debate among the Jews. "How can this man," they argued, "give us his flesh to eat?" (WEY)
John 7:12 Among the mass of the people there was much muttered debate about Him. Some said, "He is a good man." Others said, "Not so: he is imposing on the people." (WEY)
Acts 6:9 But some members of the so-called 'Synagogue of the Freed-men,' together with some Cyrenaeans, Alexandrians, Cilicians and men from Roman Asia, were roused to encounter Stephen in debate. (WEY)
Acts 15:2 Therefore when Paul and Barnabas had no small discord and discussion with them, they appointed Paul and Barnabas, and some others of them, to go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders about this question. (See NAS RSV NIV)
Acts 15:7 When there had been much discussion, Peter rose up and said to them, "Brothers, you know that a good while ago God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the nations should hear the word of the Good News, and believe. (See NAS RSV)
Acts 18:28 for he powerfully refuted the Jews, publicly showing by the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ. (See NIV)
Romans 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, (KJV WBS)
Proverbs 13:10 A vain man through pride causeth debate, And with the counselled 'is' wisdom. (YLT)
Proverbs 17:19 Whoso is loving transgression is loving debate, Whoso is making high his entrance is seeking destruction. (YLT)
Proverbs 25:9 Debate your case with your neighbor, and don't betray the confidence of another; (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Isaiah 27:8 In measure, when it shooteth forth, thou wilt debate with it: he stayeth his rough wind in the day of the east wind. (KJV WBS)
Isaiah 41:12 Thou seekest them, and findest them not, The men who debate with thee, They are as nothing, yea, as nothing, The men who war with thee. (YLT)
Isaiah 58:4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high. (KJV DBY WBS YLT)