|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) A mistaken belief; as, a delusion of grandeur.
2. (n.) The act of deluding; deception; a misleading of the mind.
3. (n.) That which is falsely or delusively believed or propagated; false belief; error in belief.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) Isaiah 66:4, "I also will choose their delusions" (the Revised Version, margin "mockings"), Hebrew ta`alulim, which occurs only here and Isaiah 3:4 (where it is translated "babes," the Revised Version, margin "childishness"). Its meaning is somewhat ambiguous. The best translation seems to be "wantonness," "caprice." "Their wanton dealing, i.e. that inflicted on them" (BDB). Other translations suggested are "insults" (Skinner), "freaks of fortune" (Cheyne), "follies" (Whitehouse). Septuagint has empaigmata, "mockings," Vulgate (Jerome's Latin Bible, 390-405 A.D.) illusiones.
(2) 2 Thessalonians 2:11 the King James Version, "God shall send them strong delusion" (the Revised Version (British and American) "God sendeth them a working of error"), plane, "a wandering," "a roaming about," in the New Testament "error" either of opinion or of conduct.
D. Miall Edwards
Delusion (12 Occurrences)
1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that unrighteous men will not inherit God's Kingdom? Cherish no delusion here. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor any who are guilty of unnatural crime, (WEY)
1 Corinthians 15:14 And if Christ has not risen, it follows that what we preach is a delusion, and that your faith also is a delusion. (WEY)
1 Thessalonians 2:3 For our preaching was not grounded on a delusion, nor prompted by mingled motives, nor was there fraud in it. (WEY)
2 Thessalonians 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: (KJV WBS YLT RSV NIV)
James 1:22 But prove yourselves obedient to the Message, and do not be mere hearers of it, imposing a delusion upon yourselves. (WEY)
Psalms 62:9 Surely men of low degree are just a breath, and men of high degree are a lie. In the balances they will go up. They are together lighter than a breath. (See RSV)
Isaiah 41:29 Truly they are all nothing, their works are nothing and of no value: their metal images are of no more use than wind. (See RSV)
Jeremiah 3:23 Truly, the hills, and the noise of an army on the mountains, are a false hope: truly, in the Lord our God is the salvation of Israel. (See RSV)
Jeremiah 10:3 For the customs of the peoples are vanity; for one cuts a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman with the axe. (See NAS)
Jeremiah 10:15 They are vanity, a work of delusion: in the time of their visitation they shall perish. (WEB JPS ASV DBY RSV)
Jeremiah 51:18 They are vanity, a work of delusion: in the time of their visitation they shall perish. (WEB JPS ASV DBY RSV)
Lamentations 2:14 Thy prophets have seen for thee FALSE and foolish visions; And they have not uncovered thine iniquity, to bring back thy captivity, But have seen for thee FALSE oracles and causes of banishment. (See JPS)