|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. i.) Act of departing; departure.
2. (n.) A part, portion, or subdivision.
3. (n.) A distinct course of life, action, study, or the like; appointed sphere or walk; province.
4. (v. i.) Subdivision of business or official duty; especially, one of the principal divisions of executive government; as, the treasury department; the war department; also, in a university, one of the divisions of instruction; as, the medical department; the department of physics.
5. (n.) A territorial division; a district; esp., in France, one of the districts composed of several arrondissements into which the country is divided for governmental purposes; as, the Department of the Loire.
6. (n.) A military subdivision of a country; as, the Department of the Potomac.
Department (1 Occurrence)
Acts 19:27 and not only is this department in danger for us of coming into disregard, but also, that of the great goddess Artemis the temple is to be reckoned for nothing, and also her greatness is about to be brought down, whom all Asia and the world doth worship.' (YLT)