|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To fix the boundaries of; to mark off and separate.
2. (v. t.) To set bounds to; to fix the determination of; to limit; to bound; to bring to an end; to finish.
3. (v. t.) To fix the form or character of; to shape; to prescribe imperatively; to regulate; to settle.
4. (v. t.) To fix the course of; to impel and direct; -- with a remoter object preceded by to; as, another's will determined me to this course.
5. (v. t.) To ascertain definitely; to find out the specific character or name of; to assign to its true place in a system; as, to determine an unknown or a newly discovered plant or its name.
6. (v. t.) To bring to a conclusion, as a question or controversy; to settle authoritative or judicial sentence; to decide; as, the court has determined the cause.
7. (v. t.) To resolve on; to have a fixed intention of; also, to cause to come to a conclusion or decision; to lead; as, this determined him to go immediately.
8. (v. t.) To define or limit by adding a differentia.
9. (v. t.) To ascertain the presence, quantity, or amount of; as, to determine the parallax; to determine the salt in sea water.
10. (v. i.) To come to an end; to end; to terminate.
11. (v. i.) To come to a decision; to decide; to resolve; -- often with on.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) "To resolve," "decide." This is the primary meaning of the word and it is also the one that is the most common. In the New Testament the Greek word krino, is translated "determine," and it has the above meaning (Acts 20:16; Acts 25:25 1 Corinthians 2:2). The word occurs frequently in the Old Testament with this meaning (see Exodus 21:22 1 Samuel 20:7, 9, 33).
(2) "To decree," "ordain," "mark out." The Greek word that is rendered "determine" with this meaning is horizo. See DETERMINATE.
The Hebrew term charats is translated "determine" with the above meaning; as "his days are determined" (Job 14:5); "a destruction is determined" (Isaiah 10:22); "desolations are determined" (Daniel 9:26). The Hebrew term mishpaT, which means "judgment" or "sentence," is translated "determination" in Zephaniah 3:8.
A. W. Fortune.
Determine (13 Occurrences)
Acts 4:28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done. (Root in KJV WEY DBY WBS YLT)
Acts 23:15 Now therefore do ye with the council make a representation to the chiliarch so that he may bring him down to you, as about to determine more precisely what concerns him, and we, before he draws near, are ready to kill him. (DBY NAS RSV)
Acts 24:22 But Felix, having more exact knowledge concerning the Way, deferred them, saying, When Lysias the chief captain shall come down, I will determine your matter. (ASV DBY)
Romans 14:13 Therefore let's not judge one another any more, but judge this rather, that no man put a stumbling block in his brother's way, or an occasion for falling. (See NAS)
Exodus 12:4 and if the household is too little for a lamb, then he and his neighbor next to his house shall take one according to the number of the souls; according to what everyone can eat you shall make your count for the lamb. (See NIV)
Exodus 21:22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. (KJV JPS ASV WBS RSV)
Exodus 22:8 If the thief isn't found, then the master of the house shall come near to God, to find out if he hasn't put his hand to his neighbor's goods. (See NAS NIV)
Leviticus 27:18 But if he dedicates his field after the Jubilee, then the priest shall reckon to him the money according to the years that remain to the Year of Jubilee; and an abatement shall be made from your valuation. (See NIV)
Leviticus 27:23 then the priest shall reckon to him the worth of your valuation up to the Year of Jubilee; and he shall give your valuation on that day, as a holy thing to Yahweh. (See NIV)
Nehemiah 10:34 We cast lots, the priests, the Levites, and the people, for the wood offering, to bring it into the house of our God, according to our fathers' houses, at times appointed, year by year, to burn on the altar of Yahweh our God, as it is written in the law; (See NIV)
Job 34:4 Let us choose for us that which is right. Let us know among ourselves what is good. (See RSV)
Job 34:14 If he set his heart on himself, If he gathered to himself his spirit and his breath, (See NAS)
Job 38:33 Knowest thou the ordinances of the heavens? dost thou determine their rule over the earth? (DBY)