|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To relieve of a charge, load, or burden; to empty of a load or cargo; to unburden; to unload; as, to discharge a vessel.
2. (v. t.) To free of the missile with which anything is charged or loaded; to let go the charge of; as, to discharge a bow, catapult, etc.; especially, said of firearms, -- to fire off; to shoot off; also, to relieve from a state of tension, as a Leaden jar.
3. (v. t.) To of something weighing upon or impeding over one, as a debt, claim, obligation, responsibility, accusation, etc.; to absolve; to acquit; to clear.
4. (v. t.) To relieve of an office or employment; to send away from service; to dismiss.
5. (v. t.) To release legally from confinement; to set at liberty; as, to discharge a prisoner.
6. (v. t.) To put forth, or remove, as a charge or burden; to take out, as that with which anything is loaded or filled; as, to discharge a cargo.
7. (v. t.) To let fly, as a missile; to shoot.
8. (v. t.) To set aside; to annul; to dismiss.
9. (v. t.) To throw off the obligation of, as a duty or debt; to relieve one's self of, by fulfilling conditions, performing duty, trust, and the like; hence, to perform or execute, as an office, or part.
10. (v. t.) To send away (a creditor) satisfied by payment; to pay one's debt or obligation to.
11. (v. t.) To give forth; to emit or send out; as, a pipe discharges water; to let fly; to give expression to; to utter; as, to discharge a horrible oath.
12. (v. t.) To prohibit; to forbid.
13. (v. i.) To throw off or deliver a load, charge, or burden; to unload; to emit or give vent to fluid or other contents; as, the water pipe discharges freely.
14. (n.) The act of discharging; the act of relieving of a charge or load; removal of a load or burden; unloading; as, the discharge of a ship; discharge of a cargo.
15. (v. t.) Firing off; explosive removal of a charge; explosion; letting off; as, a discharge of arrows, of artillery.
16. (v. t.) Act of relieving of something which oppresses or weighs upon one, as an obligation, liability, debt, accusation, etc.; acquittance; as, the discharge of a debtor.
17. (v. t.) Act of removing, or getting rid of, an obligation, liability, etc.; fulfillment, as by the payment of a debt, or the performance of a trust or duty.
18. (v. t.) Release or dismissal from an office, employment, etc.; dismissal; as, the discharge of a workman by his employer.
19. (v. t.) Legal release from confinement; liberation; as, the discharge of a prisoner.
20. (n.) The state of being discharged or relieved of a debt, obligation, office, and the like; acquittal.
21. (v. t.) That which discharges or releases from an obligation, liability, penalty, etc., as a price of ransom, a legal document.
22. (n.) A flowing or issuing out; emission; vent; evacuation; also, that which is discharged or emitted; as, a rapid discharge of water from the pipe.
Discharge (30 Occurrences)
Acts 21:3 and having sighted Cyprus, and left it on the left hand, we sailed to Syria, and made the land at Tyre, for there the ship was to discharge her cargo. (DBY)
1 Corinthians 3:10 In discharge of the task which God graciously entrusted to me, I--like a competent master-builder--have laid a foundation, and others are building upon it. But let every one be careful how and what he builds. (WEY)
Colossians 4:17 And tell Archippus to discharge carefully the duties devolving upon him as a servant of the Lord. (WEY)
2 Timothy 4:5 But as for you, you must exercise habitual self-control, and not live a self-indulgent life, but do the duty of an evangelist and fully discharge the obligations of your office. (WEY NIV)
Leviticus 15:2 "Speak to the children of Israel, and tell them,'When any man has a discharge from his body, because of his discharge he is unclean. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:3 This shall be his uncleanness in his discharge: whether his body runs with his discharge, or his body has stopped from his discharge, it is his uncleanness. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:4 "'Every bed whereon he who has the discharge lies shall be unclean; and everything he sits on shall be unclean. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:6 He who sits on anything whereon the man who has the discharge sat shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the evening. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:7 "'He who touches the body of him who has the discharge shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the evening. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:8 "'If he who has the discharge spits on him who is clean, then he shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the evening. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:9 "'Whatever saddle he who has the discharge rides on shall be unclean. (WEB NAS RSV)
Leviticus 15:11 "'Whoever he who has the discharge touches, without having rinsed his hands in water, he shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the evening. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:12 "'The earthen vessel, which he who has the discharge touches, shall be broken; and every vessel of wood shall be rinsed in water. (WEB NAS RSV)
Leviticus 15:13 "'When he who has a discharge is cleansed of his discharge, then he shall count to himself seven days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes; and he shall bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:15 and the priest shall offer them, the one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering. The priest shall make atonement for him before Yahweh for his discharge. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:19 "'If a woman has a discharge, and her discharge in her flesh is blood, she shall be in her impurity seven days: and whoever touches her shall be unclean until the evening. (WEB NAS RSV)
Leviticus 15:25 "'If a woman has a discharge of her blood many days not in the time of her period, or if she has a discharge beyond the time of her period; all the days of the discharge of her uncleanness shall be as in the days of her period: she is unclean. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:26 Every bed whereon she lies all the days of her discharge shall be to her as the bed of her period: and everything whereon she sits shall be unclean, as the uncleanness of her period. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:28 "'But if she is cleansed of her discharge, then she shall count to herself seven days, and after that she shall be clean. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:30 The priest shall offer the one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering; and the priest shall make atonement for her before Yahweh for the uncleanness of her discharge. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:32 This is the law of him who has a discharge, and of him who has an emission of semen, so that he is unclean thereby; (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 15:33 and of her who has her period, and of a man or woman who has a discharge, and of him who lies with her who is unclean. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 22:4 "'Whoever of the seed of Aaron is a leper or has an issue; he shall not eat of the holy things, until he is clean. Whoever touches anything that is unclean by the dead, or a man whose seed goes from him; (See NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 22:22 Anything blind or broken or damaged or having any disease or any mark on it may not be offered to the Lord; you may not make an offering of it by fire on the altar to the Lord. (See RSV)
Numbers 5:2 "Command the children of Israel that they put out of the camp every leper, and everyone who has an issue, and whoever is unclean by the dead. (See NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 3:29 May it come on the head of Joab and all his father's family: among the men of Joab's family may there ever be some who are diseased or lepers, or who do the work of women, or are put to the sword, or are wasted from need of food! (See NAS RSV)
Psalms 78:49 He sendeth on them the fury of His anger, Wrath, and indignation, and distress -- A discharge of evil messengers. (YLT)
Ecclesiastes 7:18 It is good that thou shouldest take hold of this; yea, also from that withdraw not thy hand: for he that feareth God shall come forth from them all. (See JPS)
Ecclesiastes 8:8 There is no man who has power over the spirit to contain the spirit; neither does he have power over the day of death. There is no discharge in war; neither shall wickedness deliver those who practice it. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 32:6 I will also water with your blood the land in which you swim, even to the mountains; and the watercourses shall be full of you. (See NAS)