|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To draw off by degrees; to cause to flow gradually out or off; hence, to cause the exhaustion of.
2. (v. t.) To exhaust of liquid contents by drawing them off; to make gradually dry or empty; to remove surface water, as from streets, by gutters, etc.; to deprive of moisture; hence, to exhaust; to empty of wealth, resources, or the like; as, to drain a country of its specie.
3. (v. t.) To filter.
4. (v. i.) To flow gradually; as, the water of low ground drains off.
5. (v. i.) To become emptied of liquor by flowing or dropping; as, let the vessel stand and drain.
6. (n.) The act of draining, or of drawing off; gradual and continuous outflow or withdrawal; as, the drain of specie from a country.
7. (n.) That means of which anything is drained; a channel; a trench; a water course; a sewer; a sink.
8. (n.) The grain from the mashing tub; as, brewers' drains.
Drain (11 Occurrences)
Matthew 15:17 do ye not understand that all that is going into the mouth doth pass into the belly, and into the drain is cast forth? (YLT)
Mark 7:19 because it doth not enter into his heart, but into the belly, and into the drain it doth go out, purifying all the meats.' (YLT)
Revelation 16:19 The great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell. Babylon the great was remembered in the sight of God, to give to her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath. (See RSV)
Leviticus 17:13 "'Whatever man there is of the children of Israel, or of the strangers who live as foreigners among them, who takes in hunting any animal or bird that may be eaten; he shall pour out its blood, and cover it with dust. (See NIV)
Leviticus 26:16 I also will do this to you: I will appoint terror over you, even consumption and fever, that shall consume the eyes, and make the soul to pine away; and you will sow your seed in vain, for your enemies will eat it. (See NIV)
1 Kings 18:32 And with the stones he made an altar to the name of the Lord; and he made a deep drain all round the altar, great enough to take two measures of seed. (BBE)
1 Kings 18:35 And the water went all round the altar, till the drain was full. (BBE)
1 Kings 18:38 Then the fire of the Lord came down, burning up the offering and the wood and the stones and the dust, and drinking up the water in the drain. (BBE)
Psalms 75:8 For in the hand of Jehovah there is a cup, and the wine foameth; It is full of mixture, and he poureth out of the same: Surely the dregs thereof, all the wicked of the earth shall drain them, and drink them. (ASV DBY JPS NAS RSV)
Isaiah 19:6 and the rivers shall stink, and the streams of Egypt shall be diminished and drain away: the reeds and sedges shall wither. (DBY)
Ezekiel 23:34 You shall even drink it and drain it out, and you shall gnaw the broken pieces of it, and shall tear your breasts; for I have spoken it, says the Lord Yahweh. (WEB JPS ASV BBE YLT NAS RSV NIV)