|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To supply with light; to illuminate; as, the sun enlightens the earth.
2. (v. t.) To make clear to the intellect or conscience; to shed the light of truth and knowledge upon; to furnish with increase of knowledge; to instruct; as, to enlighten the mind or understanding.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) 'or, "illumination" in every sense, used in the ordinary sense of giving natural light (Psalm 97:4 the King James Version; see also Ezra 9:8) or as a sign of health and vigor (1 Samuel 14:27, 29). "His eyes were enlightened," literally, "became bright." He had become weary and faint with the day's exertions and anxieties, and now recovers (see Job 33:30 and compare Psalm 13:3). Thus in sickness and grief, the eyes are dull and heavy; dying eyes are glazed; but health and joy render them bright and sparkling, as with a light from within.
(2) In Psalm 18:28 the King James Version, The word naghah, figuratively describes the believer's deliverance from the gloom of adversity and the restoration of joy in the knowledge of God.
(3) Most frequently the terms so translated mean the giving of spiritual light to the soul (Psalm 19:8 Ephesians 1:18, photizo; Hebrews 6:4; Hebrews 10:32). This spiritual enlightening the Spirit of God brings about through the Divine word (Psalm 119:130 2 Timothy 3:15 2 Peter 1:19). Sin mars the intellectual discernment; "but he that is spiritual discerneth all things" (1 Corinthians 2:15 King James Version, margin).
M. O. Evans
Enlighten (8 Occurrences)
Luke 2:32 A light to enlighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel. (WBS)
Ephesians 3:9 and to enlighten all with the knowledge of what is the administration of the mystery hidden throughout the ages in God, who has created all things, (DBY)
2 Timothy 1:10 and was made manifest now through the manifestation of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who indeed did abolish death, and did enlighten life and immortality through the good news, (YLT)
Ezra 9:8 And now, as a small moment hath grace been from Jehovah our God, to leave to us an escape, and to give to us a nail in His holy place, by our God's enlightening our eyes, and by giving us a little quickening in our servitude; (Root in YLT NAS)
Psalms 13:3 Look attentively; Answer me, O Jehovah, my God, Enlighten mine eyes, lest I sleep in death, (YLT NAS)
Psalms 18:28 For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness. (KJV DBY WBS YLT)
Psalms 105:39 He hath spread a cloud for a covering, And fire to enlighten the night. (YLT)
Isaiah 40:14 Who gave him suggestions, and made clear to him the right way? who gave him knowledge, guiding him in the way of wisdom? (See RSV NIV)