|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (a.) Precisely agreeing with a standard, a fact, or the truth; perfectly conforming; neither exceeding nor falling short in any respect; true; correct; precise; as, the clock keeps exact time; he paid the exact debt; an exact copy of a letter; exact accounts.
2. (a.) Habitually careful to agree with a standard, a rule, or a promise; accurate; methodical; punctual; as, a man exact in observing an appointment; in my doings I was exact.
3. (a.) Precisely or definitely conceived or stated; strict.
4. (v.) To demand or require authoritatively or peremptorily, as a right; to enforce the payment of, or a yielding of; to compel to yield or to furnish; hence, to wrest, as a fee or reward when none is due; -- followed by from or of before the one subjected to exaction; as, to exact tribute, fees, obedience, etc., from or of some one.
5. (v. i.) To practice exaction.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) naghas (Deuteronomy 15:2, 3 2 Kings 23:35 Isaiah 58:3), to secure by force or pressure interest or money for tribute, and perhaps, in Isaiah 58:3, labor or toil; but compare the Revised Version, margin "oppress all your laborers"; probably better with a slight change of text, "exact money lent on pledges" (reading for `abhoT beyedhekhem, `atstsebhekhem).
(2) nasha', or nashah (Nehemiah 5:7, 10, 11 (the King James Version not the Revised Version (British and American)) Job 11:6 (but see below); Psalm 89:22), to demand interest, to be a harsh and importunate creditor, a practice which Nehemiah asks the Jews to forego. Job 11:6 better with the Revised Version, margin for "exact," "causeth to be forgotten."
(3) yotse' (2 Kings 15:20 (if text is correct)). Menahem secured the tribute which the king of Assyria demanded by levying a tax on the chief men of his kingdom.
(4) prassein (Luke 3:13 the King James Version (compare Daniel 11:20 Septuagint); APC 1Macc 10:35 the Revised Version (British and American)), to demand money or tribute or taxes of anyone.
Walter R. Betteridge
Exact (31 Occurrences)
Matthew 2:7 Then Herod secretly called the wise men, and learned from them exactly what time the star appeared. (Root in WEB WEY ASV YLT NAS NIV)
Matthew 2:16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked by the wise men, was exceedingly angry, and sent out, and killed all the male children who were in Bethlehem and in all the surrounding countryside, from two years old and under, according to the exact time which he had learned from the wise men. (WEB ASV YLT)
Matthew 24:36 "But as to that day and the exact time no one knows--not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone. (WEY)
Mark 13:32 "But as to that day or the exact time no one knows--not even the angels in Heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone. (WEY)
Luke 1:4 that you might know the certainty concerning the things in which you were instructed. (See NAS)
Luke 3:13 And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you. (KJV WEY WBS YLT)
John 4:53 So the father knew that it was at that hour in which Jesus said to him, "Your son lives." He believed, as did his whole house. (See NIV)
Acts 17:26 He made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the surface of the earth, having determined appointed seasons, and the boundaries of their dwellings, (See NIV)
Acts 24:22 But Felix, having more exact knowledge concerning the Way, deferred them, saying, "When Lysias, the commanding officer, comes down, I will decide your case." (WEB ASV YLT NAS)
Acts 26:5 knowing me before from the first, (if they may be willing to testify,) that after the most exact sect of our worship, I lived a Pharisee; (YLT)
Romans 12:6 But since we have special gifts which differ in accordance with the diversified work graciously entrusted to us, if it is prophecy, let the prophet speak in exact proportion to his faith; (WEY)
Hebrews 1:3 He brightly reflects God's glory and is the exact representation of His being, and upholds the universe by His all-powerful word. After securing man's purification from sin He took His seat at the right hand of the Majesty on high, (WEY NAS NIV)
Genesis 41:34 Let Pharaoh do this, and let him appoint overseers over the land, and take up the fifth part of the land of Egypt's produce in the seven plenteous years. (See NAS)
Genesis 43:21 When we came to the lodging place, we opened our sacks, and behold, every man's money was in the mouth of his sack, our money in full weight. We have brought it back in our hand. (See NIV)
Exodus 22:25 "If you lend money to any of my people with you who is poor, you shall not be to him as a creditor; neither shall you charge him interest. (See RSV)
Deuteronomy 15:2 This is the manner of the release: every creditor shall release that which he has lent to his neighbor; he shall not exact it of his neighbor and his brother; because Yahweh's release has been proclaimed. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Deuteronomy 15:3 Of a foreigner you may exact it: but whatever of your is with your brother your hand shall release. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS YLT NAS RSV)
2 Kings 16:10 King Ahaz went to Damascus to meet Tiglath Pileser king of Assyria, and saw the altar that was at Damascus; and king Ahaz sent to Urijah the priest the fashion of the altar, and its pattern, according to all its workmanship. (See RSV)
Nehemiah 5:7 Then I consulted with myself, and contended with the nobles and the rulers, and said to them, You exact usury, everyone of his brother. I held a great assembly against them. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Nehemiah 5:10 I likewise, and my brethren, and my servants, might exact of them money and corn: I pray you, let us leave off this usury. (KJV JPS DBY WBS YLT NIV)
Nehemiah 5:11 Please restore to them, even this day, their fields, their vineyards, their olive groves, and their houses, also the hundredth part of the money, and of the grain, the new wine, and the oil, that you exact of them. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Esther 4:7 Mordecai told him of all that had happened to him, and the exact sum of the money that Haman had promised to pay to the king's treasuries for the destruction of the Jews. (WEB JPS ASV NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 89:22 The enemy shall not exact upon him; nor the son of wickedness afflict him. (KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Isaiah 58:3 'Why have we fasted,' say they,'and you don't see? why have we afflicted our soul, and you take no knowledge?' "Behold, in the day of your fast you find pleasure, and exact all your labors. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)
Jeremiah 34:9 that every man should let his bondman, and every man his bondmaid, the Hebrew and the Hebrewess, go free, that none should exact service of them, that is, of a Jew his brother. (DBY)
Jeremiah 34:10 And all the princes and all the people that had entered into the covenant obeyed, every man letting his bondman and every man his bondmaid go free, that none should exact service of them any more: they obeyed, and let them go. (DBY)
Jeremiah 51:36 Therefore thus says Yahweh: Behold, I will plead your cause, and take vengeance for you; and I will dry up her sea, and make her fountain dry. (See NAS)
Daniel 7:16 I came near to one of those who stood by, and asked him the truth concerning all this. So he told me, and made me know the interpretation of the things. (See NAS)
Daniel 7:19 Then I desired to know the truth concerning the fourth animal, which was diverse from all of them, exceedingly terrible, whose teeth were of iron, and its nails of brass; which devoured, broke in pieces, and stamped the residue with its feet; (See NAS)
Amos 5:11 Therefore, because ye trample upon the poor, and take from him exactions of wheat; ye have built houses of hewn stone, but ye shall not dwell in them, ye have planted pleasant vineyards, but ye shall not drink wine thereof. (Root in JPS ASV NAS RSV)
Habakkuk 2:7 Shall they not rise up suddenly that shall bite thee, and awake that shall vex thee, and thou shalt be for booty unto them? (See JPS)