|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
A musical instrument, probably composed of a number of pipes, mentioned Dan. 3:5, 7, 10, 15.
In Matthew 9:23, 24, notice is taken of players on the flute, here called "minstrels" (but in R.V. "flute-players").
Flutes were in common use among the ancient Egyptians.
Noah Webster's Dictionary
1. (n.) A musical wind instrument, consisting of a hollow cylinder or pipe, with holes along its length, stopped by the fingers or by keys which are opened by the fingers. The modern flute is closed at the upper end, and blown with the mouth at a lateral hole.
2. (n.) A channel of curved section; -- usually applied to one of a vertical series of such channels used to decorate columns and pilasters in classical architecture.
3. (n.) A similar channel or groove made in wood or other material, esp. in plaited cloth, as in a lady's ruffle.
4. (n.) A long French breakfast roll.
5. (n.) A stop in an organ, having a flutelike sound.
6. (n.) A kind of flyboat; a storeship.
7. (v. i.) To play on, or as on, a flute; to make a flutelike sound.
8. (v. t.) To play, whistle, or sing with a clear, soft note, like that of a flute.
9. (v. t.) To form flutes or channels in, as in a column, a ruffle, etc.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
Flute (16 Occurrences)
Matthew 9:23 When Jesus came into the ruler's house, and saw the flute players, and the crowd in noisy disorder, (WEB WEY ASV DBY NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 11:17 and say,'We played the flute for you, and you didn't dance. We mourned for you, and you didn't lament.' (WEB WEY NAS NIV)
Luke 7:32 They are like children sitting in the public square and calling out to one another, 'We have played the flute to you, and you have not danced: we have sung dirges, and you have not shown sorrow.' (WEY NAS NIV)
1 Corinthians 14:7 Even inanimate things--flutes or harps, for instance--when yielding a sound, if they make no distinction in the notes, how shall the tune which is played on the flute or the harp be known? (Root in WEY NAS RSV NIV)
Revelation 18:22 The voice of harpists, minstrels, flute players, and trumpeters will be heard no more at all in you. No craftsman, of whatever craft, will be found any more at all in you. The sound of a mill will be heard no more at all in you. (WEB WEY ASV DBY NAS RSV NIV)
Genesis 4:21 His brother's name was Jubal, who was the father of all who handle the harp and pipe. (See NIV)
Job 21:12 They sing to the tambourine and harp, and rejoice at the sound of the pipe. (See NAS NIV)
Job 30:31 Therefore my harp has turned to mourning, and my pipe into the voice of those who weep. (See NAS NIV)
Psalms 150:4 Praise him with tambourine and dancing! Praise him with stringed instruments and flute! (WEB NIV)
Isaiah 5:12 The harp, lyre, tambourine, and flute, with wine, are at their feasts; but they don't respect the work of Yahweh, neither have they considered the operation of his hands. (WEB DBY NAS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 30:29 You will have a song, as in the night when a holy feast is kept; and gladness of heart, as when one goes with a flute to come to Yahweh's mountain, to Israel's Rock. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Jeremiah 48:36 Therefore my heart sounds for Moab like pipes, and my heart sounds like pipes for the men of Kir Heres: therefore the abundance that he has gotten is perished. (See NAS RSV NIV)
Daniel 3:5 that whenever you hear the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipe, and all kinds of music, you fall down and worship the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king has set up; (WEB KJV ASV WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Daniel 3:7 Therefore at that time, when all the peoples heard the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipe, and all kinds of music, all the peoples, the nations, and the languages, fell down and worshiped the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up. (WEB KJV ASV WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Daniel 3:10 You, O king, have made a decree, that every man that shall hear the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipe, and all kinds of music, shall fall down and worship the golden image; (WEB KJV ASV WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Daniel 3:15 Now if you are ready whenever you hear the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipe, and all kinds of music to fall down and worship the image which I have made, well : but if you don't worship, you shall be cast the same hour into the midst of a burning fiery furnace; and who is that god that shall deliver you out of my hands? (WEB KJV ASV WBS YLT NAS NIV)