|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) As much as the hand will grasp or contain.
2. (n.) A hand's breadth; four inches.
3. (n.) A small quantity.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
hand'-fool: There are five words in Hebrew used to indicate what may be held in the hand, either closed or open.
(1) chophen, chophnayim. The fist or closed hand occurs in the dual in Exodus 9:8, where it signifies what can be taken in the two hands conjoined, a double handful.
(2) kaph, "hollow of the hand," the palm; an open handful (Leviticus 9:17 1 Kings 17:12 Ecclesiastes 4:6).
(3) `amir, "sheaf or bundle." It signifies the quantity of grain a gleaner may gather in his hand (Jeremiah 9:22 (Hebrew 21)).
(4) qomets, "the closed handful" (Genesis 41:47 Leviticus 2:2; Leviticus 5:12; Leviticus 6:15 (Hebrew 6:8); Numbers 5:26).
(5) sho`al, "the hollow of the hand," or what can be held in it (1 Kings 20:10 Ezekiel 13:19). In Isaiah 40:12 it signifies "measure."
(6) piccah (Psalm 72:16) is rendered "handful" by the King James Version, but is properly "abundance" as in the Revised Version (British and American).
Handful (10 Occurrences)
Leviticus 2:2 He shall bring it to Aaron's sons, the priests; and he shall take his handful of its fine flour, and of its oil, with all its frankincense; and the priest shall burn its memorial on the altar, an offering made by fire, of a pleasant aroma to Yahweh. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 5:12 He shall bring it to the priest, and the priest shall take his handful of it as the memorial portion, and burn it on the altar, on the offerings of Yahweh made by fire. It is a sin offering. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 6:15 He shall take from there his handful of the fine flour of the meal offering, and of its oil, and all the frankincense which is on the meal offering, and shall burn it on the altar for a pleasant aroma, as its memorial, to Yahweh. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Leviticus 9:17 And he brought the meat offering, and took an handful thereof, and burnt it upon the altar, beside the burnt sacrifice of the morning. (KJV DBY WBS NIV)
Numbers 5:26 The priest shall take a handful of the meal offering, as its memorial, and burn it on the altar, and afterward shall make the woman drink the water. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Kings 17:12 She said, "As Yahweh your God lives, I don't have a cake, but a handful of meal in the jar, and a little oil in the jar. Behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and bake it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
1 Kings 20:10 Ben Hadad sent to him, and said, "The gods do so to me, and more also, if the dust of Samaria shall suffice for handfuls for all the people who follow me." (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 72:16 There shall be an handful of corn in the earth upon the top of the mountains; the fruit thereof shall shake like Lebanon: and they of the city shall flourish like grass of the earth. (KJV WBS YLT)
Ecclesiastes 4:6 Better is a handful, with quietness, than two handfuls with labor and chasing after wind. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV NIV)
Jeremiah 9:22 Speak, Thus says Yahweh, The dead bodies of men shall fall as dung on the open field, and as the handful after the harvester; and none shall gather them. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT)