|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. i.) To suspend; to fasten to some elevated point without support from below; -- often used with up or out; as, to hang a coat on a hook; to hang up a sign; to hang out a banner.
2. (v. i.) To fasten in a manner which will allow of free motion upon the point or points of suspension; -- said of a pendulum, a swing, a door, gate, etc.
3. (v. i.) To fit properly, as at a proper angle (a part of an implement that is swung in using), as a scythe to its snath, or an ax to its helve.
4. (v. i.) To put to death by suspending by the neck; -- a form of capital punishment; as, to hang a murderer.
5. (v. i.) To cover, decorate, or furnish by hanging pictures trophies, drapery, and the like, or by covering with paper hangings; -- said of a wall, a room, etc.
6. (v. i.) To paste, as paper hangings, on the walls of a room.
7. (v. i.) To hold or bear in a suspended or inclined manner or position instead of erect; to droop; as, he hung his head in shame.
8. (v. i.) To be suspended or fastened to some elevated point without support from below; to dangle; to float; to rest; to remain; to stay.
9. (v. i.) To be fastened in such a manner as to allow of free motion on the point or points of suspension.
10. (v. i.) To die or be put to death by suspension from the neck.
11. (v. i.) To hold for support; to depend; to cling; -- usually with on or upon; as, this question hangs on a single point.
12. (v. i.) To be, or be like, a suspended weight.
13. (v. i.) To hover; to impend; to appear threateningly; -- usually with over; as, evils hang over the country.
14. (v. i.) To lean or incline; to incline downward.
15. (v. i.) To slope down; as, hanging grounds.
16. (v. i.) To be undetermined or uncertain; to be in suspense; to linger; to be delayed.
17. (n.) The manner in which one part or thing hangs upon, or is connected with, another; as, the hang of a scythe.
18. (n.) Connection; arrangement; plan; as, the hang of a discourse.
19. (n.) A sharp or steep declivity or slope.
Hang (37 Occurrences)
Matthew 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. (KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NIV)
Acts 28:4 When the natives saw the creature hanging from his hand, they said one to another, "No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he has escaped from the sea, yet Justice has not allowed to live." (Root in WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Hebrews 12:12 Therefore, lift up the hands that hang down and the feeble knees, (WEB KJV ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT)
Genesis 40:19 Within three more days, Pharaoh will lift up your head from off you, and will hang you on a tree; and the birds will eat your flesh from off you." (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 26:12 The overhanging part that remains of the curtains of the tent, the half curtain that remains, shall hang over the back of the tabernacle. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS RSV NIV)
Exodus 26:13 The cubit on the one side, and the cubit on the other side, of that which remains in the length of the curtains of the tent, shall hang over the sides of the tabernacle on this side and on that side, to cover it. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS RSV NIV)
Exodus 26:32 You shall hang it on four pillars of acacia overlaid with gold; their hooks shall be of gold, on four sockets of silver. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 26:33 You shall hang up the veil under the clasps, and shall bring the ark of the testimony in there within the veil: and the veil shall separate the holy place from the most holy for you. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Exodus 40:5 And thou shalt set the altar of gold for the incense before the ark of the testimony, and put the hanging of the door to the tabernacle. (Root in KJV BBE DBY WBS)
Exodus 40:8 You shall set up the court around it, and hang up the screen of the gate of the court. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS RSV)
Leviticus 10:6 Moses said to Aaron, and to Eleazar and to Ithamar, his sons, "Don't let the hair of your heads go loose, neither tear your clothes; that you don't die, and that he not be angry with all the congregation: but let your brothers, the whole house of Israel, bewail the burning which Yahweh has kindled. (See RSV)
Leviticus 13:45 "The leper in whom the plague is shall wear torn clothes, and the hair of his head shall hang loose. He shall cover his upper lip, and shall cry,'Unclean! Unclean!' (WEB RSV)
Leviticus 21:10 "'He who is the high priest among his brothers, upon whose head the anointing oil is poured, and that is consecrated to put on the garments, shall not let the hair of his head hang loose, nor tear his clothes; (WEB RSV)
Numbers 25:4 Yahweh said to Moses, "Take all the chiefs of the people, and hang them up to Yahweh before the sun, that the fierce anger of Yahweh may turn away from Israel." (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Deuteronomy 21:22 If a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be put to death, and you hang him on a tree; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Deuteronomy 21:23 his body shall not remain all night on the tree, but you shall surely bury him the same day; for he who is hanged is accursed of God; that you don't defile your land which Yahweh your God gives you for an inheritance. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Deuteronomy 28:66 and your life shall hang in doubt before you; and you shall fear night and day, and shall have no assurance of your life. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
2 Samuel 4:12 David commanded his young men, and they killed them, and cut off their hands and their feet, and hanged them up beside the pool in Hebron. But they took the head of Ishbosheth, and buried it in the grave of Abner in Hebron. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT RSV)
2 Samuel 21:6 let seven men of his sons be delivered to us, and we will hang them up to Yahweh in Gibeah of Saul, the chosen of Yahweh." The king said, "I will give them." (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
2 Samuel 21:9 He delivered them into the hands of the Gibeonites, and they hanged them in the mountain before Yahweh, and all seven of them fell together. They were put to death in the days of harvest, in the first days, at the beginning of barley harvest. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Esther 5:14 Then Zeresh his wife and all his friends said to him, "Let a gallows be made fifty cubits high, and in the morning speak to the king about hanging Mordecai on it. Then go in merrily with the king to the banquet." This pleased Haman, so he had the gallows made. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Esther 6:4 The king said, "Who is in the court?" Now Haman had come into the outer court of the king's house, to speak to the king about hanging Mordecai on the gallows that he had prepared for him. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Esther 7:9 Then Harbonah, one of the eunuchs who were with the king said, "Behold, the gallows fifty cubits high, which Haman has made for Mordecai, who spoke good for the king, is standing at Haman's house." The king said, "Hang him on it!" (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Esther 7:10 So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared for Mordecai. Then was the king's wrath pacified. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Esther 9:13 Then Esther said, "If it pleases the king, let it be granted to the Jews who are in Shushan to do tomorrow also according to this day's decree, and let Haman's ten sons be hanged on the gallows." (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Job 28:4 He breaks open a shaft away from where people live. They are forgotten by the foot. They hang far from men, they swing back and forth. (WEB JPS ASV BBE DBY NAS RSV)
Job 37:16 Do you know the workings of the clouds, the wondrous works of him who is perfect in knowledge? (See NIV)
Proverbs 26:7 Like the legs of the lame that hang loose: so is a parable in the mouth of fools. (WEB JPS ASV BBE DBY RSV NIV)
Song of Songs 4:4 Your neck is like David's tower built for an armory, whereon a thousand shields hang, all the shields of the mighty men. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 22:24 They will hang on him all the glory of his father's house, the offspring and the issue, every small vessel, from the cups even to all the pitchers. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Jeremiah 6:24 We have heard the fame thereof, our hands wax feeble, anguish hath taken hold of us, and pain, as of a woman in travail.' (See NIV)
Jeremiah 47:3 From the sound of the stamping of the hoofs of his mighty ones, From the rushing of his chariot, the noise of his wheels, Fathers have not turned unto sons, From feebleness of hands, (See NIV)
Jeremiah 50:43 Heard hath the king of Babylon their report, And feeble have been his hands, Distress hath seized him; pain as a travailing woman. (See NAS NIV)
Lamentations 2:10 The elders of the daughter of Zion sit on the ground, they keep silence; They have cast up dust on their heads; they have girded themselves with sackcloth: The virgins of Jerusalem hang down their heads to the ground. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS)
Ezekiel 7:17 All the hands are feeble, and all knees go -- waters. (See NAS)
Ezekiel 15:3 Shall wood be taken of it to make any work? or will men take a pin of it to hang any vessel thereon? (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Zephaniah 3:16 In that day it is said to Jerusalem, 'Fear not, O Zion, let not thy hands be feeble. (See NIV)