|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
(Hebrews kob'a), a cap for the defence of the head (1 Samuel 17:5, 38). In the New Testament the Greek equivalent is used (Ephesians 6:17; 1 Thessalonians 5:8). (see ARMS.)
Noah Webster's Dictionary
1. (n.) A defensive covering for the head.
2. (n.) The representation of a helmet over shields or coats of arms, denoting gradations of rank by modifications of form.
3. (n.) A helmet-shaped hat, made of cork, felt, metal, or other suitable material, worn as part of the uniform of soldiers, firemen, etc., also worn in hot countries as a protection from the heat of the sun.
4. (n.) That which resembles a helmet in form, position, etc.
5. (n.) The upper part of a retort.
6. (n.) The hood-formed upper sepal or petal of some flowers, as of the monkshood or the snapdragon.
7. (n.) A naked shield or protuberance on the top or fore part of the head of a bird.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
See ARMS, ARMOR.
Helmet (10 Occurrences)
Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the spoken word of God; (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Thessalonians 5:8 But let us, since we belong to the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and, for a helmet, the hope of salvation. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 17:5 He had a helmet of brass on his head, and he was clad with a coat of mail; and the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels of brass. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Samuel 17:38 Saul dressed David with his clothing. He put a helmet of brass on his head, and he clad him with a coat of mail. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 60:7 Gilead is mine, and Manasseh is mine. Ephraim also is the defense of my head. Judah is my scepter. (See NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 108:8 Gilead is mine. Manasseh is mine. Ephraim also is my helmet. Judah is my scepter. (WEB NAS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 59:17 He put on righteousness as a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation on his head; and he put on garments of vengeance for clothing, and was clad with zeal as a mantle. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 23:24 They shall come against you with weapons, chariots, and wagons, and with a company of peoples; they shall set themselves against you with buckler and shield and helmet all around; and I will commit the judgment to them, and they shall judge you according to their judgments. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 27:10 Persia and Lud and Put were in your army, your men of war: they hanged the shield and helmet in you; they set forth your comeliness. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 38:5 Persia, Cush, and Put with them, all of them with shield and helmet; (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)