|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (pron.) It.
2. (3d pers. sing. pres.) of Hide, contracted from hideth.
3. (imp. & p. p.) of Hit.
4. (v. t.) To reach with a stroke or blow; to strike or touch, usually with force; especially, to reach or touch (an object aimed at).
5. (v. t.) To reach or attain exactly; to meet according to the occasion; to perform successfully; to attain to; to accord with; to be conformable to; to suit.
6. (v. t.) To guess; to light upon or discover.
7. (v. t.) To take up, or replace by a piece belonging to the opposing player; -- said of a single unprotected piece on a point.
8. (v. i.) To meet or come in contact; to strike; to clash; -- followed by against or on.
9. (v. i.) To meet or reach what was aimed at or desired; to succeed, -- often with implied chance, or luck.
10. (n.) A striking against; the collision of one body against another; the stroke that touches anything.
11. (n.) A stroke of success in an enterprise, as by a fortunate chance; as, he made a hit.
12. (n.) A peculiarly apt expression or turn of thought; a phrase which hits the mark; as, a happy hit.
13. (n.) A game won at backgammon after the adversary has removed some of his men. It counts less than a gammon.
14. (n.) A striking of the ball; as, a safe hit; a foul hit; -- sometimes used specifically for a base hit.
Hit (11 Occurrences)
Matthew 26:68 saying, "Prophesy to us, you Christ! Who hit you?" (WEB NAS NIV)
Luke 22:64 Having blindfolded him, they struck him on the face and asked him, "Prophesy! Who is the one who struck you?" (See NAS NIV)
1 Corinthians 9:27 but I hit hard and straight at my own body and lead it off into slavery, lest possibly, after I have been a herald to others, I should myself be rejected. (WEY)
Exodus 21:22 "If men fight and hurt a pregnant woman so that she gives birth prematurely, and yet no harm follows, he shall be surely fined as much as the woman's husband demands and the judges allow. (See NIV)
Deuteronomy 19:5 as when a man goes into the forest with his neighbor to chop wood, and his hand fetches a stroke with the axe to cut down the tree, and the head slips from the handle, and lights on his neighbor, so that he dies; he shall flee to one of these cities and live: (See NIV)
1 Samuel 31:3 And the battle went sore against Saul, and the archers hit him; and he was sore wounded of the archers. (KJV WBS NAS)
1 Kings 22:34 A certain man drew his bow at random, and struck the king of Israel between the joints of the armor. Therefore he said to the driver of his chariot, "Turn your hand, and carry me out of the battle; for I am severely wounded." (See NIV)
1 Chronicles 10:3 And the battle went sore against Saul, and the archers hit him, and he was wounded of the archers. (KJV WBS)
2 Chronicles 18:33 A certain man drew his bow at a venture, and struck the king of Israel between the joints of the armor. Therefore he said to the driver of the chariot, Turn your hand, and carry me out of the army; for I am sore wounded. (See NIV)
Proverbs 23:35 "They hit me, and I was not hurt! They beat me, and I don't feel it! When will I wake up? I can do it again. I can find another." (WEB NIV)
Isaiah 58:4 If keeping from food makes you quickly angry, ready for fighting and giving blows with evil hands; your holy days are not such as to make your voice come to my ears on high. (See RSV)