|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
God's living one.
(1.) The father of Gibeon (1 Chronicles 9:35).
(2.) One of David's guard (1 Chronicles 11:44).
(3.) One of the Levites "of the second degree," appointed to conduct the music on the occasion of the ark's being removed to Jerusalem (1 Chronicles 15:18, 20).
(4.) A Hachmonite, a tutor in the family of David toward the close of his reign (1 Chronicles 27:32).
(5.) The second of Jehoshaphat's six sons (2 Chronicles 21:2).
(6.) One of the Levites of the family of Heman who assisted Hezekiah in his work of reformation (2 Chronicles 29:14).
(7.) A "prince" and "ruler of the house of God" who contributed liberally to the renewal of the temple sacrifices under Josiah (2 Chronicles 35:8).
(8.) The father of Obadiah (Ezra 8:9).
(9.) One of the "sons" of Elam (Ezra 10:26).
(10.) Ezra 10:21.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
je-hi'-el, je-hi'-e-li (yechi'el, "may God live!"):
(1) A Levite, one of the musicians appointed to play upon instruments at the bringing up of the ark by David (1 Chronicles 15:18, 20; 1 Chronicles 16:5); (yechi'eli): A patronymic of this name (1 Chronicles 26:21, 22), but Curtis (Chronicles, 286-87) reads "Jehiel (1 Chronicles 26:21) and he is brethren Zetham and Joel" (1 Chronicles 26:22); compare 1 Chronicles 23:8, where the three seem to be brothers. See (2) above.
(2) A Gershonite, head of a Levitical house (1 Chronicles 23:8; 1 Chronicles 29:8).
(3) Son of a Hachmonite; he was "with the king's (David's) sons," i.e. their tutor (1 Chronicles 27:32).
(4) A son of King Jehoshaphat (2 Chronicles 21:2).
(5) In 2 Chronicles 29:14 the King James Version, where Qere is yechu'el, the Revised Version (British and American) "Jehuel," a Hermanite Levite who took part in cleansing the temple in Hezekiah's reign.
(6) An overseer in Hezekiah's reign (2 Chronicles 31:13).
(7) One of the three "rulers" of the temple in Hezekiah's reign (2 Chronicles 35:8).
(8) Father of Obadiah, a returned exile (Ezra 8:9) = "Jezelus" of 1 Esdras 8:35.
(9) Father of Shecaniah (Ezra 10:2) = "Jeelus" of 1 Esdras 8:92. He was a "son" of Elam, and so probably the same as "Jehiel" in Ezra 10:26, one of those who had married foreign wives = "Jezrielus" of 1 Esdras 9:27.
(10) A "son" of Harim, and one of those who had married foreign wives (Ezra 10:21) = "Hiereel" of 1 Esdras 9:21.
(11) The King James Version in 1 Chronicles 9:35 = JEIEL (q.v. (2)).
(12) The King James Version in 1 Chronicles 11:44 = JEIEL (q.v. (3)).
David Francis Roberts
Jehiel (17 Occurrences)
1 Chronicles 9:35 And in Gibeon dwelt the father of Gibeon, Jehiel, whose wife's name was Maachah: (KJV WBS YLT)
1 Chronicles 11:44 Uzzia the Ashterathite, Shama and Jehiel the sons of Hothan the Aroerite, (KJV WBS YLT)
1 Chronicles 15:18 and with them their brothers of the second degree, Zechariah, Ben, and Jaaziel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehiel, and Unni, Eliab, and Benaiah, and Maaseiah, and Mattithiah, and Eliphelehu, and Mikneiah, and Obed-Edom, and Jeiel, the doorkeepers. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 15:20 and Zechariah, and Aziel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehiel, and Unni, and Eliab, and Maaseiah, and Benaiah, with stringed instruments set to Alamoth; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 16:5 Asaph the chief, and second to him Zechariah, Jeiel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehiel, and Mattithiah, and Eliab, and Benaiah, and Obed-Edom, and Jeiel, with stringed instruments and with harps; and Asaph with cymbals, sounding aloud; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 23:8 The sons of Ladan: Jehiel the chief, and Zetham, and Joel, three. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 27:32 Also Jonathan, David's uncle, was a counselor, a man of understanding, and a scribe: and Jehiel the son of Hachmoni was with the king's sons: (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 29:8 They with whom precious stones were found gave them to the treasure of the house of Yahweh, under the hand of Jehiel the Gershonite. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 21:2 He had brothers, the sons of Jehoshaphat: Azariah, and Jehiel, and Zechariah, and Azariah, and Michael, and Shephatiah; all these were the sons of Jehoshaphat king of Israel. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 29:14 And of the sons of Heman; Jehiel, and Shimei: and of the sons of Jeduthun; Shemaiah, and Uzziel. (KJV JPS DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 31:13 Jehiel, and Azaziah, and Nahath, and Asahel, and Jerimoth, and Jozabad, and Eliel, and Ismachiah, and Mahath, and Benaiah, were overseers under the hand of Conaniah and Shimei his brother, by the appointment of Hezekiah the king, and Azariah the ruler of the house of God. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 35:8 His princes gave for a freewill offering to the people, to the priests, and to the Levites. Hilkiah and Zechariah and Jehiel, the rulers of the house of God, gave to the priests for the Passover offerings two thousand and six hundred small livestock, and three hundred head of cattle. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 35:9 Conaniah also, and Shemaiah, and Nethaneel, his brethren, and Hashabiah and Jehiel and Jozabad, chief of the Levites, gave to the Levites for passover-offerings five thousand small cattle, and five hundred oxen. (WBS)
Ezra 8:9 Of the sons of Joab, Obadiah the son of Jehiel; and with him two hundred and eighteen males. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 10:2 Shecaniah the son of Jehiel, one of the sons of Elam, answered Ezra, We have trespassed against our God, and have married foreign women of the peoples of the land: yet now there is hope for Israel concerning this thing. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 10:21 Of the sons of Harim: Maaseiah, and Elijah, and Shemaiah, and Jehiel, and Uzziah. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 10:26 Of the sons of Elam: Mattaniah, Zechariah, and Jehiel, and Abdi, and Jeremoth, and Elijah. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)