|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
(1.) Father-in-law of Moses (Exodus 4:18 marg.), called elsewhere Jethro (q.v.).
(2.) The oldest of Gideon's seventy sons (Judges 8:20).
(3.) The father of Amasa, David's general (1 Kings 2:5, 32); called Ithra (2 Samuel 17:25).
(4.) 1 Chronicles 7:38.
(5.) 1 Chronicles 2:32; one of Judah's posterity.
(6.) 1 Chronicles 4:17.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
je'-ther (yether, "abundance"):
(1) Exodus 4:18 the Revised Version margin, King James Version, margin.
(2) Gideon's eldest son (Judges 8:20), who was called upon by his father to slay Zebah and Zalmunnah, but "feared, because he was yet a youth." The narrative there (Judges 8:4) should be connected with that of Judges 6:34, where Gideon is followed by his clan, and not with that of Judges 7, where he has 300 picked men. The captives would be taken to Orpah, Gideon's home, and slain there.
(3) Father of Amasa (1 Kings 2:5, 32); he was an Ishmaelite according to 1 Chronicles 2:17 = "Ithra, the Israelite" of 2 Samuel 17:25, where "the Ishmaelite" should be read for "the Israelite."
(4) A Jerahmeelite (1 Chronicles 2:32 twice).
(5) A Judahite (1 Chronicles 4:17).
(6) A man of Asher (1 Chronicles 7:38) = "Ithran" of 1 Chronicles 7:37.
David Francis Roberts
Jether (8 Occurrences)
Judges 8:20 He said to Jether his firstborn, "Get up, and kill them!" But the youth didn't draw his sword; for he was afraid, because he was yet a youth. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Samuel 17:25 Absalom set Amasa over the army instead of Joab. Now Amasa was the son of a man, whose name was Ithra the Israelite, who went in to Abigail the daughter of Nahash, sister to Zeruiah, Joab's mother. (See NIV)
1 Kings 2:5 "Moreover you know also what Joab the son of Zeruiah did to me, even what he did to the two captains of the armies of Israel, to Abner the son of Ner, and to Amasa the son of Jether, whom he killed, and shed the blood of war in peace, and put the blood of war on his sash that was about his waist, and in his shoes that were on his feet. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Kings 2:32 Yahweh will return his blood on his own head, because he fell on two men more righteous and better than he, and killed them with the sword, and my father David didn't know it: Abner the son of Ner, captain of the army of Israel, and Amasa the son of Jether, captain of the army of Judah. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 2:17 Abigail bore Amasa; and the father of Amasa was Jether the Ishmaelite. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 2:32 The sons of Jada the brother of Shammai: Jether, and Jonathan; and Jether died without children. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 4:17 The sons of Ezrah: Jether, and Mered, and Epher, and Jalon; and she bore Miriam, and Shammai, and Ishbah the father of Eshtemoa. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 7:38 The sons of Jether: Jephunneh, and Pispa, and Ara. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)