|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
Mail, Coat of
"a corselet of scales," a cuirass formed of pieces of metal overlapping each other, like fish-scales (1 Samuel 17:5); also (38) a corselet or garment thus encased.
Noah Webster's Dictionary
1. (n.) A spot.
2. (n.) A small piece of money; especially, an English silver half-penny of the time of Henry V.
3. (n.) Rent; tribute.
4. (n.) A flexible fabric made of metal rings interlinked. It was used especially for defensive armor.
5. (n.) Hence generally, armor, or any defensive covering.
6. (n.) A contrivance of interlinked rings, for rubbing off the loose hemp on lines and white cordage.
7. (n.) Any hard protective covering of an animal, as the scales and plates of reptiles, shell of a lobster, etc.
8. (v. t.) To arm with mail.
9. (v. t.) To pinion.
10. (n.) A bag; a wallet.
11. (n.) The bag or bags with the letters, papers, papers, or other matter contained therein, conveyed under public authority from one post office to another; the whole system of appliances used by government in the conveyance and delivery of mail matter.
12. (n.) That which comes in the mail; letters, etc., received through the post office.
13. (n.) A trunk, box, or bag, in which clothing, etc., may be carried.
14. (v. t.) To deliver into the custody of the post office officials, or place in a government letter box, for transmission by mail; to post; as, to mail a letter.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
COAT OF MAIL
See ARMOR, ARMS; BRIGANDINE.
Mail (11 Occurrences)
Exodus 28:32 It shall have a hole for the head in its midst: it shall have a binding of woven work around its hole, as it were the hole of a coat of mail, that it not be torn. (WEB JPS ASV DBY NAS)
Exodus 39:23 The opening of the robe in its midst was like the opening of a coat of mail, with a binding around its opening, that it should not be torn. (WEB JPS ASV DBY NAS)
1 Samuel 17:5 He had a helmet of brass on his head, and he was clad with a coat of mail; and the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels of brass. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS YLT RSV)
1 Samuel 17:38 Saul dressed David with his clothing. He put a helmet of brass on his head, and he clad him with a coat of mail. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS YLT RSV)
2 Chronicles 26:14 Uzziah prepared for them, even for all the army, shields, and spears, and helmets, and coats of mail, and bows, and stones for slinging. (WEB JPS ASV DBY YLT RSV)
Nehemiah 4:16 It happened from that time forth, that half of my servants worked in the work, and half of them held the spears, the shields, and the bows, and the coats of mail; and the rulers were behind all the house of Judah. (WEB JPS ASV YLT RSV)
Job 3:3 Let the day perish in which I was born, and the night in which it was said, There is a mail child conceived. (WBS)
Job 41:13 Who can strip off his outer garment? Who shall come within his jaws? (See NAS RSV)
Isaiah 59:17 And he put on righteousness as a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation upon his head; and he put on garments of vengeance for clothing, and was clad with zeal as a mantle. (See JPS)
Jeremiah 46:4 Harness the horses, and get up, you horsemen, and stand forth with your helmets; furbish the spears, put on the coats of mail. (WEB JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)
Jeremiah 51:3 Against him who bends let the archer bend his bow, and against him who lifts himself up in his coat of mail: and don't spare her young men; utterly destroy all her army. (WEB JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)