|Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia|
mal-ki'-ja (malkiyah, "Yah is king"; Melcheias, with variants):
(1) A Levite, descendant of Gershom, of those whom David set over the "service of sting" in the worship (1 Chronicles 6:40).
(2) The head of the 5th course of priests (1 Chronicles 24:9).
(3) One of the laymen who had taken "strange wives" during the exile (Ezra 10:25); the "Melchias" of 1 Esdras 9:26.
(4) Another of the same name (Ezra 10:25; two in same verse). Called "Asibias" in 1 Esdras 9:26.
(5) Another under the same offense, son of Harim (Ezra 10:31). "Melchias" in 1 Esdras 9:32.
(6) One of the "repairers" who helped with the "tower of the furnaces" (Nehemiah 3:11).
(7) Son of Rechab ruler of Beth-haccerem, repairer of the dung gate (Nehemiah 3:14).
(8) A goldsmith who helped in building the walls of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 3:31).
(9) One of those at Ezra's left hand when he read the law (though possibly one of the above (Nehemiah 8:4)). In 1 Esdras 9:44 "Melchias."
(10) One of the covenant signatories (Nehemiah 10:3).
(11) The father of Pashhur (Nehemiah 11:12 Jeremiah 21:1; Jeremiah 38:1).
(12) A priest, a singer at the dedication of the walls of Jerusalem under Ezra and Nehemiah (Nehemiah 12:42).
(13) (malkiyahu as above with u ending): Son of Ham-melech (or, as 1 Kings 22:26 2 Chronicles 28:7 translate it, "king's son"). Jeremiah was cast into his dungeon or pit (Jeremiah 38:6).
The King James Version spells "Malchiah" or "Malchijah" indifferently with "Melchiah" in Jeremiah 21:1; the English Revised Version has "Malchiah" in Jeremiah 21:1; Jeremiah 38:1, 6, elsewhere "Malchijah"; the American Standard Revised Version has "Malchijah" throughout.
Malchijah (15 Occurrences)
1 Chronicles 6:40 the son of Michael, the son of Baaseiah, the son of Malchijah, (WEB JPS ASV BBE DBY NAS)
1 Chronicles 9:12 and Adaiah the son of Jeroham, the son of Pashhur, the son of Malchijah, and Maasai the son of Adiel, the son of Jahzerah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Meshillemith, the son of Immer; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
1 Chronicles 24:9 the fifth to Malchijah, the sixth to Mijamin, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Ezra 10:25 Of Israel: Of the sons of Parosh: Ramiah, and Izziah, and Malchijah, and Mijamin, and Eleazar, and Malchijah, and Benaiah. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Ezra 10:31 of the sons of Harim: Eliezer, Isshijah, Malchijah, Shemaiah, Shimeon, (WEB JPS ASV BBE DBY NAS)
Nehemiah 3:11 Malchijah the son of Harim, and Hasshub the son of Pahathmoab, repaired another portion, and the tower of the furnaces. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Nehemiah 3:14 The dung gate repaired Malchijah the son of Rechab, the ruler of the district of Beth Haccherem; he built it, and set up its doors, its bolts, and its bars. (WEB JPS ASV BBE DBY YLT NAS)
Nehemiah 3:31 After him repaired Malchijah one of the goldsmiths to the house of the Nethinim, and of the merchants, over against the gate of Hammiphkad, and to the ascent of the corner. (WEB JPS ASV BBE DBY YLT NAS)
Nehemiah 8:4 Ezra the scribe stood on a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Uriah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchijah, and Hashum, and Hashbaddanah, Zechariah, and Meshullam. (WEB JPS ASV BBE DBY YLT NAS)
Nehemiah 10:3 Pashhur, Amariah, Malchijah, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Nehemiah 11:12 and their brothers who did the work of the house, eight hundred twenty-two; and Adaiah the son of Jeroham, the son of Pelaliah, the son of Amzi, the son of Zechariah, the son of Pashhur, the son of Malchijah, (WEB JPS ASV BBE DBY NAS)
Nehemiah 12:42 and Maaseiah, and Shemaiah, and Eleazar, and Uzzi, and Jehohanan, and Malchijah, and Elam, and Ezer. The singers sang loud, with Jezrahiah their overseer. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)
Jeremiah 21:1 The word which came to Jeremiah from Yahweh, when king Zedekiah sent to him Pashhur the son of Malchijah, and Zephaniah the son of Maaseiah, the priest, saying, (WEB ASV DBY NAS)
Jeremiah 38:1 Shephatiah the son of Mattan, and Gedaliah the son of Pashhur, and Jucal the son of Shelemiah, and Pashhur the son of Malchijah, heard the words that Jeremiah spoke to all the people, saying, (WEB ASV DBY NAS)
Jeremiah 38:6 Then took they Jeremiah, and cast him into the dungeon of Malchijah the king's son, that was in the court of the guard: and they let down Jeremiah with cords. In the dungeon there was no water, but mire; and Jeremiah sank in the mire. (WEB ASV DBY NAS)