|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (n.) The Paraguay tea, being the dried leaf of the Brazilian holly (Ilex Paraguensis). The infusion has a pleasant odor, with an agreeable bitter taste, and is much used for tea in South America.
2. (n.) Same as Checkmate.
3. (a.) See Mat.
4. (v. t.) To confuse; to confound.
5. (v. t.) To checkmate.
6. (n.) One who customarily associates with another; a companion; an associate; any object which is associated or combined with a similar object.
7. (n.) Hence, specifically, a husband or wife; and among the lower animals, one of a pair associated for propagation and the care of their young.
8. (n.) A suitable companion; a match; an equal.
9. (n.) An officer in a merchant vessel ranking next below the captain. If there are more than one bearing the title, they are called, respectively, first mate, second mate, third mate, etc. In the navy, a subordinate officer or assistant; as, master's mate; surgeon's mate.
10. (v. t.) To match; to marry.
11. (v. t.) To match one's self against; to oppose as equal; to compete with.
12. (v. i.) To be or become a mate or mates, especially in sexual companionship; as, some birds mate for life; this bird will not mate with that one.
Mate (9 Occurrences)
Genesis 7:2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee seven and seven, the male and his female; and of the beasts that are not clean two, the male and his female: (See JPS RSV NIV)
Genesis 30:41 It happened, whenever the stronger of the flock conceived, that Jacob laid the rods before the eyes of the flock in the gutters, that they might conceive among the rods; (See NAS NIV)
Leviticus 18:23 "'You shall not lie with any animal to defile yourself with it; neither shall any woman give herself to an animal, to lie down with it: it is a perversion. (See NAS)
Leviticus 19:19 "'You shall keep my statutes. "'You shall not crossbreed different kinds of animals. "'you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed; "'neither shall there come upon on you a garment made of two kinds of material. (Root in WEB DBY NAS NIV)
Leviticus 20:16 "'If a woman approaches any animal, and lies down with it, you shall kill the woman, and the animal: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. (See NAS)
Isaiah 34:15 The arrow snake will make her nest there, and lay, hatch, and gather under her shade. Yes, the kites will be gathered there, every one with her mate. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 34:16 Search in the book of Yahweh, and read: not one of these will be missing. none will lack her mate. For my mouth has commanded, and his Spirit has gathered them. (WEB KJV JPS ASV WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Jonah 1:7 They all said to each other, "Come, let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this evil is on us." So they cast lots, and the lot fell on Jonah. (See NAS)
Nahum 2:12 The lion tore in pieces enough for his cubs, and strangled for his lionesses, and filled his caves with the kill, and his dens with prey. (See NIV)