|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
Gift of Jehovah.
(1.) A Levite, son of Heman, the chief of the ninth class of temple singers (1 Chronicles 25:4, 16).
(2.) A Levite who assisted in purifying the temple at the reformation under Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 29:13).
(3.) The original name of Zedekiah (q.v.), the last of the kings of Judah (2 Kings 24:17). He was the third son of Josiah, who fell at Megiddo. He succeeded his nephew Jehoiakin.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
mat-a-ni'-a (mattanyaha, "gift of Yah"):
(1) King Zedekiah's original name, but changed by Nebuchadnezzar when he made him king over Judah instead of his nephew Jehoiachin (2 Kings 24:17).
(2) A descendant of Asaph (1 Chronicles 9:15), leader of the temple choir (Nehemiah 11:17; Nehemiah 12:8). Mentioned among the "porters," keepers of "the storehouses of the gates" (Nehemiah 12:25), and again in Nehemiah 12:35 as among the "priests' sons with trumpets."
(3) May be the same as (2), though in 2 Chronicles 20:14 he is mentioned as an ancestor of that Jahaziel whose inspired words in the midst of the congregation encouraged Jehoshaphat to withstand the invasion of Moab, Ammon and Seir (20:14;).
(4-7) Four others who had foreign wives,
(a) the Matthanias of 1 Esdras 9:27 (Ezra 10:26);
(b) the Othonias of 1 Esdras 9:28 (Ezra 10:27);
(c) the Matthanias of 1 Esdras 9:31 (Ezra 10:30);
(d) the fourth of these in 1 Esdras 9:34 the King James Version has had his name blended into that of Mattenai, and the two appear as the composite name Mamnitanemus (Ezra 10:37). He is a son of Bani.
(8) A Levite, father of Zaccur, ancestor of Hanan the under-treasurer of the Levitical offerings under Nehemiah (Nehemiah 13:13).
(9) One of the sons of Heman the singer, whose office it was to blow the horns in the temple-service as David had appointed it (1 Chronicles 25:4, 5). He was head of the 9th division of the 12 Levites (1 Chronicles 25:16), who were proficient in the Songs of Yahweh (1 Chronicles 25:7).
(10) One of the sons of Asaph who helped Hezekiah in the fulfilling of his vow to cleanse the house of the Lord (2 Chronicles 29:13).
Mattaniah (16 Occurrences)
2 Kings 24:17 The king of Babylon made Mattaniah, Jehoiachin's father's brother, king is his place, and changed his name to Zedekiah. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 9:15 and Bakbakkar, Heresh, and Galal, and Mattaniah the son of Mica, the son of Zichri, the son of Asaph, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 25:4 Of Heman; the sons of Heman: Bukkiah, Mattaniah, Uzziel, Shebuel, and Jerimoth, Hananiah, Hanani, Eliathah, Giddalti, and Romamti-Ezer, Joshbekashah, Mallothi, Hothir, Mahazioth. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
1 Chronicles 25:16 the ninth to Mattaniah, his sons and his brothers, twelve: (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 20:14 Then on Jahaziel the son of Zechariah, the son of Benaiah, the son of Jeiel, the son of Mattaniah, the Levite, of the sons of Asaph, came the Spirit of Yahweh in the midst of the assembly; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
2 Chronicles 29:13 and of the sons of Elizaphan, Shimri and Jeuel; and of the sons of Asaph, Zechariah and Mattaniah; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 10:26 Of the sons of Elam: Mattaniah, Zechariah, and Jehiel, and Abdi, and Jeremoth, and Elijah. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 10:27 Of the sons of Zattu: Elioenai, Eliashib, Mattaniah, and Jeremoth, and Zabad, and Aziza. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 10:30 Of the sons of Pahathmoab: Adna, and Chelal, Benaiah, Maaseiah, Mattaniah, Bezalel, and Binnui, and Manasseh. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Ezra 10:37 Mattaniah, Mattenai, and Jaasu, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 11:17 and Mattaniah the son of Mica, the son of Zabdi, the son of Asaph, who was the chief to begin the thanksgiving in prayer, and Bakbukiah, the second among his brothers; and Abda the son of Shammua, the son of Galal, the son of Jeduthun. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 11:22 The overseer also of the Levites at Jerusalem was Uzzi the son of Bani, the son of Hashabiah, the son of Mattaniah, the son of Mica, of the sons of Asaph, the singers, over the business of the house of God. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 12:8 Moreover the Levites: Jeshua, Binnui, Kadmiel, Sherebiah, Judah, and Mattaniah, who was over the thanksgiving, he and his brothers. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 12:25 Mattaniah, and Bakbukiah, Obadiah, Meshullam, Talmon, Akkub, were porters keeping the watch at the storehouses of the gates. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 12:35 and certain of the priests' sons with trumpets: Zechariah the son of Jonathan, the son of Shemaiah, the son of Mattaniah, the son of Micaiah, the son of Zaccur, the son of Asaph; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Nehemiah 13:13 I made treasurers over the treasuries, Shelemiah the priest, and Zadok the scribe, and of the Levites, Pedaiah: and next to them was Hanan the son of Zaccur, the son of Mattaniah; for they were counted faithful, and their business was to distribute to their brothers. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)