|Easton's Bible Dictionary|
Who is like God?
(1.) The title given to one of the chief angels (Dan. 10:13, 21; 12:1). He had special charge of Israel as a nation. He disputed with Satan (Jude 1:9) about the body of Moses. He is also represented as warning against "that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world" (Revelation 12:7-9).
(2.) The father of Sethur, the spy selected to represent Asher (Numbers 13:13).
(3.) 1 Chronicles 7:3, a chief of the tribe of Issachar.
(4.) 1 Chronicles 8:16, a Benjamite.
(5.) A chief Gadite in Bashan (1 Chronicles 5:13).
(6.) A Manassite, "a captain of thousands" who joined David at Ziklag (1 Chronicles 12:20).
(7.) A Gershonite Levite (1 Chronicles 6:40).
(8.) The father of Omri (1 Chronicles 27:18).
(9.) One of the sons of king Jehoshaphat (2 Chronicles 21:2, 4). He was murdered by his brother Jehoram.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
mi'-ka-el, mi'-kel (mikha'el, "who is like God?" Michael):
(1) The father of Sethur the Asherite spy (Numbers 13:13).
(2) (3) Two Gadites (1 Chronicles 5:13, 14).
(4) A name in the genealogy of Asaph (1 Chronicles 6:40 (Hebrew 25)).
(5) A son of Izrahiah of Issachar (1 Chronicles 7:3).
(6) A Benjamite (1 Chronicles 8:16).
(7) A Manassite who ceded to David at Ziklag (1 Chronicles 12:20).
(8) The father of Omri of Issachar (1 Chronicles 27:18).
(9) A son of King Jehoshaphat (2 Chronicles 21:2).
(10) The father of Zebediah, an exile who returned with Ezra (Ezra 8:8 parallel 1Es 8:34).
(11) "The archangel" (Jude 1:9). Probably also the unnamed archangel of 1 Thessalonians 4:16 is Michael. In the Old Testament he is mentioned by name only in Daniel. He is "one of the chief princes" (Daniel 10:13), the "prince" of Israel (Daniel 10:21), "the great prince" (Daniel 12:1); perhaps also "the prince of the host" (Daniel 8:11). In all these passages Michael appears as the heavenly patron and champion of Israel; as the watchful guardian of the people of God against all foes earthly or devilish. In the uncanonical apocalyptic writings, however, Jewish angelology is further developed. In them Michael frequently appears and excretes functions similar to those which are ascribed to him in Daniel. He is the first of the "four presences that stand before God"-Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel or Phanuel (En 9:1; 40:9). In other apocryphal books and even elsewhere in En, the number of archangels is given as 7 (En 20:1-7; Tobit 12:15; compare also Revelation 8:2). Among the many characterizations of Michael the following may be noted: He is "the merciful and long-suffering" (En 40:9; 68:2, 3), "the mediator and intercessor" (Ascension of Isaiah, Latin version 9:23; Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs, Levi 5; Da 6). It is he who opposed the Devil in a dispute concerning Moses' body (Jude 1:9). This passage, according to most modern authorities, is derived from the apocryphal Assumption of Moses (see Charles' edition, 105-10). It is Michael also who leads the angelic armies in the war in heaven against "the old serpent, he that is called the Devil and Satan" (Revelation 12:7). According to Charles, the supplanting of the "child" by the archangel is an indication of the Jewish origin of this part of the book.
The earlier Protestant scholars usually identified Michael with the preincarnate Christ, finding support for their view, not only in the juxtaposition of the "child" and the archangel in Revelation 12, but also in the attributes ascribed to him in Daniel (for a full discussion see Hengstenberg, Offenbarung, I, 611-22, and an interesting survey in English by Dr. Douglas in Fairbairn's BD).
John A. Lees
Michael (16 Occurrences)
Jude 1:9 But Michael, the archangel, when contending with the devil and arguing about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him an abusive condemnation, but said, "May the Lord rebuke you!" (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Revelation 12:7 There was war in the sky. Michael and his angels made war on the dragon. The dragon and his angels made war. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Numbers 13:13 Of the tribe of Asher, Sethur the son of Michael. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 5:13 Their brothers of their fathers' houses: Michael, and Meshullam, and Sheba, and Jorai, and Jacan, and Zia, and Eber, seven. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 5:14 These were the sons of Abihail, the son of Huri, the son of Jaroah, the son of Gilead, the son of Michael, the son of Jeshishai, the son of Jahdo, the son of Buz; (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 6:40 the son of Michael, the son of Baaseiah, the son of Malchijah, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 7:3 The sons of Uzzi: Izrahiah. The sons of Izrahiah: Michael, and Obadiah, and Joel, Isshiah, five; all of them chief men. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 8:16 and Michael, and Ishpah, and Joha, the sons of Beriah, (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 12:20 As he went to Ziklag, there fell to him of Manasseh, Adnah, and Jozabad, and Jediael, and Michael, and Jozabad, and Elihu, and Zillethai, captains of thousands who were of Manasseh. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
1 Chronicles 27:18 of Judah, Elihu, one of the brothers of David: of Issachar, Omri the son of Michael: (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Chronicles 21:2 He had brothers, the sons of Jehoshaphat: Azariah, and Jehiel, and Zechariah, and Azariah, and Michael, and Shephatiah; all these were the sons of Jehoshaphat king of Israel. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Ezra 8:8 Of the sons of Shephatiah, Zebadiah the son of Michael; and with him eighty males. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Daniel 10:13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; but, behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me: and I remained there with the kings of Persia. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Daniel 10:20 But I am going back to make war with the angel of Persia, and when I am gone, the angel of Greece will come. And there is no one on my side against these, but Michael, your angel. (BBE)
Daniel 10:21 But I will tell you that which is inscribed in the writing of truth: and there is none who holds with me against these, but Michael your prince." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Daniel 12:1 "At that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince who stands for the children of your people; and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone who shall be found written in the book. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)