|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To cast off; to molt.
2. (v. t. & i.) To eject the contents of the bowels; -- said of birds.
3. (n.) The dung of birds.
4. (a.) Not speaking; uttering no sound; silent.
5. (a.) Incapable of speaking; dumb.
6. (a.) Not uttered; unpronounced; silent; also, produced by complete closure of the mouth organs which interrupt the passage of breath; -- said of certain letters. See 5th Mute, 2.
7. (a.) Not giving a ringing sound when struck; -- said of a metal.
8. (n.) One who does not speak, whether from physical inability, unwillingness, or other cause.
9. (n.) One who, from deafness, either congenital or from early life, is unable to use articulate language; a deaf-mute.
10. (n.) A person employed by undertakers at a funeral.
11. (n.) A person whose part in a play does not require him to speak.
12. (n.) Among the Turks, an officer or attendant who is selected for his place because he can not speak.
13. (n.) A letter which represents no sound; a silent letter; also, a close articulation; an element of speech formed by a position of the mouth organs which stops the passage of the breath; as, p, b, d, k, t.
14. (n.) A little utensil made of brass, ivory, or other material, so formed that it can be fixed in an erect position on the bridge of a violin, or similar instrument, in order to deaden or soften the tone.
Mute (29 Occurrences)
Matthew 9:32 As they went out, behold, a mute man who was demon possessed was brought to him. (WEB NAS)
Matthew 9:33 When the demon was cast out, the mute man spoke. The multitudes marveled, saying, "Nothing like this has ever been seen in Israel!" (WEB NAS NIV)
Matthew 12:22 Then one possessed by a demon, blind and mute, was brought to him and he healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. (WEB NAS NIV)
Matthew 15:30 Great multitudes came to him, having with them the lame, blind, mute, maimed, and many others, and they put them down at his feet. He healed them, (WEB NAS NIV)
Matthew 15:31 so that the multitude wondered when they saw the mute speaking, injured whole, lame walking, and blind seeing-and they glorified the God of Israel. (WEB NAS NIV)
Mark 4:39 And awaking up he rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, Silence; be mute. And the wind fell, and there was a great calm. (DBY)
Mark 7:37 They were astonished beyond measure, saying, "He has done all things well. He makes even the deaf hear, and the mute speak!" (WEB NAS NIV)
Mark 9:17 One of the multitude answered, "Teacher, I brought to you my son, who has a mute spirit; (WEB NAS)
Mark 9:25 When Jesus saw that a multitude came running together, he rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to him, "You mute and deaf spirit, I command you, come out of him, and never enter him again!" (WEB NAS NIV)
Luke 1:22 When he came out, he could not speak to them, and they perceived that he had seen a vision in the temple. He continued making signs to them, and remained mute. (WEB NAS)
Luke 11:14 He was casting out a demon, and it was mute. It happened, when the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke; and the multitudes marveled. (WEB NAS NIV)
1 Corinthians 12:2 You know that when you were heathen, you were led away to those mute idols, however you might be led. (WEB NAS NIV)
2 Peter 2:16 but he was rebuked for his own disobedience. A mute donkey spoke with a man's voice and stopped the madness of the prophet. (WEB NAS)
Exodus 4:11 Yahweh said to him, "Who made man's mouth? Or who makes one mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Isn't it I, Yahweh? (WEB NAS NIV)
Psalms 31:18 Let the lying lips be mute, which speak against the righteous insolently, with pride and contempt. (WEB NAS)
Psalms 38:13 But I, as a deaf man, don't hear. I am as a mute man who doesn't open his mouth. (WEB NAS NIV)
Psalms 39:2 I was mute with silence. I held my peace, even from good. My sorrow was stirred. (WEB NAS)
Psalms 39:9 I was mute. I didn't open my mouth, because you did it. (WEB NAS)
Proverbs 31:8 Open your mouth for the mute, in the cause of all who are left desolate. (WEB NAS)
Isaiah 35:6 Then the lame man will leap like a deer, and the tongue of the mute will sing; for waters will break out in the wilderness, and streams in the desert. (WEB NAS NIV)
Isaiah 53:7 He was oppressed, yet when he was afflicted he didn't open his mouth. As a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and as a sheep that before its shearers is mute, so he didn't open his mouth. (WEB)
Isaiah 56:10 His watchmen are blind, they are all without knowledge; they are all mute dogs, they can't bark; dreaming, lying down, loving to slumber. (WEB NAS NIV)
Ezekiel 3:26 and I will make your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth, that you shall be mute, and shall not be to them a reprover; for they are a rebellious house. (WEB NAS)
Ezekiel 24:27 In that day your mouth will be opened to him who has escaped, and you shall speak, and be no more mute: so you will be a sign to them; and they shall know that I am Yahweh. (WEB NAS)
Ezekiel 33:22 Now the hand of Yahweh had been on me in the evening, before he who was escaped came; and he had opened my mouth, until he came to me in the morning; and my mouth was opened, and I was no more mute. (WEB)
Daniel 4:19 Then Daniel, whose name was Belteshazzar, was stricken mute for a while, and his thoughts troubled him. The king answered, Belteshazzar, don't let the dream, or the interpretation, trouble you. Belteshazzar answered, My lord, the dream be to those who hate you, and its interpretation to your adversaries. (WEB)
Daniel 10:15 and when he had spoken to me according to these words, I set my face toward the ground, and was mute. (WEB)
Habakkuk 2:18 "What value does the engraved image have, that its maker has engraved it; the molten image, even the teacher of lies, that he who fashions its form trusts in it, to make mute idols? (WEB)
Habakkuk 2:19 Woe to him who says to the wood,'Awake!' or to the mute stone,'Arise!' Shall this teach? Behold, it is overlaid with gold and silver, and there is no breath at all in its midst. (WEB NAS)