|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (superl.) of little breadth; not wide or broad; having little distance from side to side; as narrow board; a narrow street; a narrow hem.
2. (superl.) of little extent; very limited; circumscribed.
3. (superl.) Having but a little margin; having barely sufficient space, time, or number, etc.; close; near; -- with special reference to some peril or misfortune; as, a narrow shot; a narrow escape; a narrow majority.
4. (superl.) Limited as to means; straitened; pinching; as, narrow circumstances.
5. (superl.) Contracted; of limited scope; illiberal; bigoted; as, a narrow mind; narrow views.
6. (superl.) Parsimonious; niggardly; covetous; selfish.
7. (superl.) Scrutinizing in detail; close; accurate; exact.
8. (superl.) Formed (as a vowel) by a close position of some part of the tongue in relation to the palate; or (according to Bell) by a tense condition of the pharynx; -- distinguished from wide; as e (eve) and / (f/d), etc., from i (ill) and / (f/t), etc. See Guide to Pronunciation, / 13.
9. (n.) A narrow passage; esp., a contracted part of a stream, lake, or sea; a strait connecting two bodies of water; -- usually in the plural; as, The Narrows of New York harbor.
10. (v. t.) To lessen the breadth of; to contract; to draw into a smaller compass; to reduce the width or extent of.
11. (v. t.) To contract the reach or sphere of; to make less liberal or more selfish; to limit; to confine; to restrict; as, to narrow one's views or knowledge; to narrow a question in discussion.
12. (v. t.) To contract the size of, as a stocking, by taking two stitches into one.
13. (v. i.) To become less broad; to contract; to become narrower; as, the sea narrows into a strait.
14. (v. i.) Not to step out enough to the one hand or the other; as, a horse narrows.
15. (v. i.) To contract the size of a stocking or other knit article, by taking two stitches into one.
Narrow (21 Occurrences)
Matthew 7:13 "Enter in by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter in by it. (WEB WEY ASV BBE DBY NAS RSV NIV)
Matthew 7:14 How narrow is the gate, and restricted is the way that leads to life! Few are those who find it. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Luke 13:24 "Strive to enter in by the narrow door, for many, I tell you, will seek to enter in, and will not be able. (WEB WEY ASV BBE DBY NAS RSV NIV)
2 Corinthians 6:12 There is no narrowness in our love to you: the narrowness is in your own feelings. (Root in WEY BBE)
Numbers 22:24 Then the angel of Yahweh stood in a narrow path between the vineyards, a wall being on this side, and a wall on that side. (WEB ASV BBE YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Numbers 22:26 The angel of Yahweh went further, and stood in a narrow place, where there was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Joshua 17:15 Joshua said to them, "If you are a great people, go up to the forest, and clear land for yourself there in the land of the Perizzites and of the Rephaim; since the hill country of Ephraim is too narrow for you." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
1 Samuel 13:23 And the armed force of the Philistines went out to the narrow way of Michmash. (BBE)
1 Samuel 14:4 Now between the narrow roads over the mountains by which Jonathan was making his way to the Philistines' forces, there was a sharp overhanging rock on one side, and a sharp rock on the other side: one was named Bozez and the other Seneh. (BBE)
1 Kings 6:4 And for the house he made windows of narrow lights. (KJV JPS WBS YLT NIV)
2 Kings 6:1 And the sons of the prophets said to Elisha, Behold now, the place where we dwell with thee is too narrow for us. (WBS)
Proverbs 4:12 When you go, your way will not be narrow, and in running you will not have a fall. (BBE)
Proverbs 23:27 For a prostitute is a deep pit; and a wayward wife is a narrow well. (WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 28:20 For the bed is too short to stretch out on, and the blanket is too narrow to wrap oneself in. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV NIV)
Isaiah 49:19 For thy waste and thy desolate places, and the land of thy destruction, shall even now be too narrow by reason of the inhabitants, and they that swallowed thee up shall be far away. (KJV WBS RSV)
Isaiah 49:20 The children of thy bereavement shall yet say in thine ears, The place is too narrow for me: make room for me, that I may dwell. (DBY WBS RSV)
Lamentations 1:3 Judah has been taken away as a prisoner because of trouble and hard work; her living-place is among the nations, there is no rest for her: all her attackers have overtaken her in a narrow place. (BBE)
Ezekiel 40:16 And there were narrow windows to the little chambers, and to their posts within the gate round about, and likewise to the arches: and windows were round about inward: and upon each post were palm trees. (KJV JPS WBS YLT RSV NIV)
Ezekiel 40:25 There were windows in it and in its arches all around, like those windows: the length was fifty cubits, and the breadth twenty-five cubits. (See NIV)
Ezekiel 41:16 The door posts, and the narrow windows, and the galleries round about on their three stories, over against the door, cieled with wood round about, and from the ground up to the windows, and the windows were covered; (KJV JPS WBS YLT NIV)
Ezekiel 41:26 And there were narrow windows and palm trees on the one side and on the other side, on the sides of the porch, and upon the side chambers of the house, and thick planks. (KJV JPS WBS YLT NIV)