|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To pursue and obtain; to acquire by seeking; to gain, obtain, or acquire.
2. (v. t.) To obtain by paying money or its equivalent; to buy for a price; as, to purchase land, or a house.
3. (v. t.) To obtain by any outlay, as of labor, danger, or sacrifice, etc.; as, to purchase favor with flattery.
4. (v. t.) To expiate by a fine or forfeit.
5. (v. t.) To acquire by any means except descent or inheritance.
6. (v. t.) To buy for a price.
7. (v. t.) To apply to (anything) a device for obtaining a mechanical advantage; to get a purchase upon, or apply a purchase to; as, to purchase a cannon.
8. (v. i.) To put forth effort to obtain anything; to strive; to exert one's self.
9. (v. i.) To acquire wealth or property.
10. (n.) The act of seeking, getting, or obtaining anything.
11. (n.) The act of seeking and acquiring property.
12. (n.) The acquisition of title to, or properly in, anything for a price; buying for money or its equivalent.
13. (v. t.) That which is obtained, got, or acquired, in any manner, honestly or dishonestly; property; possession; acquisition.
14. (v. t.) That which is obtained for a price in money or its equivalent.
15. (v. t.) Any mechanical hold, or advantage, applied to the raising or removing of heavy bodies, as by a lever, a tackle, capstan, and the like; also, the apparatus, tackle, or device by which the advantage is gained.
16. (v. t.) Acquisition of lands or tenements by other means than descent or inheritance, namely, by one's own act or agreement.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
pur'-chats: In modern English, "to acquire by payment," in Elizabethan English, "to acquire" by any means. In the Old Testament, the King James Version has used "purchase" to represent qanah, and its derivatives (verb and noun), except in Leviticus 25:33, where the word is ga'al (the Revised Version (British and American) "redeem"). In the New Testament the noun does not occur and the verb is used for ktaomai, in Acts 1:18; Acts 8:20, and peripoieo, in Acts 20:28 1 Timothy 3:13. But none of these words connotes the payment of a price, so that the Revised Version (British and American) has kept the word only in Acts 20:28 (margin "acquired"), changing it into "obtain" in Acts 1:18; Acts 8:20, and "gain" in 1 Timothy 3:13. In the Old Testament, the Revised Version margin has "gotten" in Exodus 15:16 and the American Standard Revised Version has (very properly) introduced the same word into the text of Psalm 74:2; Psalm 78:54.
Burton Scott Easton
Purchase (25 Occurrences)
Matthew 25:10 While they went away to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. (See NAS)
Matthew 27:7 So after consulting together they spent the money in the purchase of the Potter's Field as a burial place for people not belonging to the city; (WEY)
Luke 21:19 By your patient endurance you will purchase your lives. (WEY)
Galatians 4:5 in order to purchase the freedom of all who were subject to Law, so that we might receive recognition as sons. (WEY)
1 Timothy 3:13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus. (KJV WBS)
Titus 2:14 who gave Himself for us to purchase our freedom from all iniquity, and purify for Himself a people who should be specially His own, zealous for doing good works. (WEY)
Genesis 23:18 to Abraham by purchase, before the eyes of the sons of Heth, among all entering the gate of his city. (YLT)
Genesis 31:15 Aren't we accounted by him as foreigners? For he has sold us, and has also quite devoured our money. (See NAS)
Genesis 49:32 the field and the cave that is therein, which was purchased from the children of Heth." (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Exodus 12:44 and any man's servant, the purchase of money, when thou hast circumcised him -- then he doth eat of it; (YLT NAS)
Leviticus 22:11 But if a priest buys a slave, purchased by his money, he shall eat of it; and such as are born in his house, they shall eat of his bread. (Root in WEB JPS ASV YLT)
Leviticus 25:33 And if a man purchase of the Levites, then the house that was sold, and the city of his possession, shall go out in the year of jubilee: for the houses of the cities of the Levites are their possession among the children of Israel. (KJV JPS WBS)
Leviticus 25:51 If yet many years, according to them he giveth back his redemption 'money', from the money of his purchase. (YLT NAS)
Leviticus 27:22 And if the field of his purchase (which 'is' not of the fields of his possession) 'one' sanctify to Jehovah -- (YLT)
Deuteronomy 2:6 You shall purchase food of them for money, that you may eat; and you shall also buy water of them for money, that you may drink.'" (WEB JPS ASV NAS RSV)
2 Kings 22:6 to the carpenters, and to the builders, and to the masons, and for buying timber and cut stone to repair the house. (See NIV)
2 Chronicles 34:11 even to the carpenters and to the builders gave they it, to buy cut stone, and timber for couplings, and to make beams for the houses which the kings of Judah had destroyed. (See NIV)
Psalms 74:2 Remember your congregation, which you purchased of old, which you have redeemed to be the tribe of your inheritance; Mount Zion, in which you have lived. (Root in WEB KJV DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Proverbs 20:14 A poor thing, a poor thing, says he who is giving money for goods: but when he has gone on his way, then he makes clear his pride in what he has got. (See NIV)
Jeremiah 32:7 Behold, Hanamel the son of Shallum your uncle shall come to you, saying, Buy my field that is in Anathoth; for the right of redemption is yours to buy it. (See RSV)
Jeremiah 32:11 So I took the deed of the purchase, both that which was sealed, containing the terms and conditions, and that which was open; (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Jeremiah 32:12 and I delivered the deed of the purchase to Baruch the son of Neriah, the son of Mahseiah, in the presence of Hanamel my uncle's son, and in the presence of the witnesses who subscribed the deed of the purchase, before all the Jews who sat in the court of the guard. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Jeremiah 32:14 Thus says Yahweh of Armies, the God of Israel: Take these deeds, this deed of the purchase which is sealed, and this deed which is open, and put them in an earthen vessel; that they may continue many days. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Jeremiah 32:16 Now after I had delivered the deed of the purchase to Baruch the son of Neriah, I prayed to Yahweh, saying, (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Amos 8:6 To purchase with money the poor, And the needy for a pair of sandals, Yea, the refuse of the pure corn we sell. (YLT)