|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To raze.
2. (n.) A root.
3. (n.) The descendants of a common ancestor; a family, tribe, people, or nation, believed or presumed to belong to the same stock; a lineage; a breed.
4. (n.) Company; herd; breed.
5. (n.) A variety of such fixed character that it may be propagated by seed.
6. (n.) Peculiar flavor, taste, or strength, as of wine; that quality, or assemblage of qualities, which indicates origin or kind, as in wine; hence, characteristic flavor; smack.
7. (n.) Hence, characteristic quality or disposition.
8. (n.) A progress; a course; a movement or progression.
9. (n.) Esp., swift progress; rapid course; a running.
10. (n.) Hence: The act or process of running in competition; a contest of speed in any way, as in running, riding, driving, skating, rowing, sailing; in the plural, usually, a meeting for contests in the running of horses; as, he attended the races.
11. (n.) Competitive action of any kind, especially when prolonged; hence, career; course of life.
12. (n.) A strong or rapid current of water, or the channel or passage for such a current; a powerful current or heavy sea, sometimes produced by the meeting of two tides; as, the Portland Race; the Race of Alderney.
13. (n.) The current of water that turns a water wheel, or the channel in which it flows; a mill race.
14. (n.) A channel or guide along which a shuttle is driven back and forth, as in a loom, sewing machine, etc.
15. (v. i.) To run swiftly; to contend in a race; as, the animals raced over the ground; the ships raced from port to port.
16. (v. i.) To run too fast at times, as a marine engine or screw, when the screw is lifted out of water by the action of a heavy sea.
17. (v. t.) To cause to contend in a race; to drive at high speed; as, to race horses.
18. (v. t.) To run a race with.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
ras (merox; agon, dromos).
See GAMES, I, 2; II, 3.
Race (36 Occurrences)
Matthew 10:6 but, instead of that, go to the lost sheep of Israel's race. (WEY)
Mark 7:26 Now the woman was a Greek, a Syrophoenician by race. She begged him that he would cast the demon out of her daughter. (WEB ASV DBY NAS)
Acts 4:36 Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas (which is, being interpreted, Son of Encouragement), a Levite, a man of Cyprus by race, (WEB ASV)
Acts 7:13 On the second time Joseph was made known to his brothers, and Joseph's race was revealed to Pharaoh. (WEB ASV)
Acts 7:19 The same took advantage of our race, and mistreated our fathers, and forced them to throw out their babies, so that they wouldn't stay alive. (WEB WEY ASV DBY NAS RSV)
Acts 10:28 And he said to them, Ye know how it is unlawful for a Jew to be joined or come to one of a strange race, and to me God has shewn to call no man common or unclean. (DBY YLT)
Acts 13:26 Brethren, sons of Abraham's race, and those who among you fear God, to you has the word of this salvation been sent: (DBY YLT)
Acts 17:26 He caused to spring from one forefather people of every race, for them to live on the whole surface of the earth, and marked out for them an appointed span of life and the boundaries of their homes; (WEY)
Acts 18:2 He found a certain Jew named Aquila, a man of Pontus by race, who had recently come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had commanded all the Jews to depart from Rome. He came to them, (WEB ASV DBY)
Acts 18:24 Now a certain Jew named Apollos, an Alexandrian by race, an eloquent man, came to Ephesus. He was mighty in the Scriptures. (WEB ASV DBY)
Acts 20:24 But these things don't count; nor do I hold my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to fully testify to the Good News of the grace of God. (WEB KJV WEY ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Romans 5:18 It follows then that just as the result of a single transgression is a condemnation which extends to the whole race, so also the result of a single decree of righteousness is a life-giving acquittal which extends to the whole race. (WEY)
Romans 9:3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brothers' sake, my relatives according to the flesh, (See RSV NIV)
Romans 9:5 of whom are the fathers, and from whom is Christ as concerning the flesh, who is over all, God, blessed forever. Amen. (See RSV NIV)
1 Corinthians 9:24 Don't you know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run like that, that you may win. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
2 Corinthians 11:26 in journeyings often, in perils of rivers, in perils of robbers, in perils from my own race, in perils from the nations, in perils in the city, in perils in the desert, in perils on the sea, in perils among false brethren; (DBY)
Galatians 1:14 and I was advancing in Judaism above many equals in age in mine own race, being more abundantly zealous of my fathers' deliverances, (YLT)
Galatians 2:2 I went up by revelation, and I laid before them the Good News which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately before those who were respected, for fear that I might be running, or had run, in vain. (See NIV)
Galatians 5:7 You were running the race nobly! Who has interfered and caused you to swerve from the truth? (WEY NIV)
Ephesians 3:5 which in earlier ages was not made known to the human race, as it has now been revealed to His holy Apostles and Prophets through the Spirit-- (WEY)
Philippians 2:16 holding out to them a Message of Life. It will then be my glory on the day of Christ that I did not run my race in vain nor toil in vain. (WEY)
Philippians 3:5 circumcised, as I was, on the eighth day, a member of the race of Israel and of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew sprung from Hebrews; as to the Law a Pharisee; (WEY DBY YLT)
Philippians 3:12 I do not say that I have already won the race or have already reached perfection. But I am pressing on, striving to lay hold of the prize for which also Christ has laid hold of me. (WEY)
2 Timothy 4:7 I have gone through the glorious contest; I have run the race; I have guarded the faith. (WEY DBY RSV NIV)
Hebrews 12:1 Therefore let us also, seeing we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS NAS RSV NIV)
James 3:7 For every kind of animal, bird, creeping thing, and thing in the sea, is tamed, and has been tamed by mankind. (See NAS)
1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, that you may proclaim the excellence of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light: (WEB WEY ASV DBY YLT NAS RSV)
2 Peter 3:6 and that, by means of these, the then existing race of men was overwhelmed with water and perished. (WEY)
Judges 16:7 And Samson saith unto her, 'If they bind me with seven green withs which have not been dried, then I have been weak, and have been as one of the human race.' (YLT)
Judges 16:11 And he saith unto her, 'If they certainly bind me with thick bands, new ones, by which work hath not been done, then I have been weak, and have been as one of the human race.' (YLT)
Judges 16:17 that he declareth to her all his heart, and saith to her, 'A razor hath not gone up on my head, for a Nazarite to God I 'am' from the womb of my mother; if I have been shaven, then hath my power turned aside from me, and I have been weak, and have been as any of the human race.' (YLT)
Ezra 9:2 For they have taken of their daughters for themselves and for their sons, so that the holy seed have mixed themselves with the peoples of the lands: yes, the hand of the princes and rulers has been chief in this trespass. (See NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 19:5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race. (KJV DBY WBS)
Ecclesiastes 9:11 I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happen to them all. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Nahum 2:4 The chariots rage in the streets. They rush back and forth in the broad ways. Their appearance is like torches. They run like the lightnings. (See NAS)
Zechariah 9:6 Foreigners will dwell in Ashdod, and I will cut off the pride of the Philistines. (See NAS)