|Noah Webster's Dictionary|
1. (v. t.) To make new again; to restore to freshness, perfection, or vigor; to give new life to; to rejuvenate; to reestablish; to recreate; to rebuild.
2. (v. t.) Specifically, to substitute for (an old obligation or right) a new one of the same nature; to continue in force; to make again; as, to renew a lease, note, or patent.
3. (v. t.) To begin again; to recommence.
4. (v. t.) To repeat; to go over again.
5. (v. t.) To make new spiritually; to regenerate.
6. (v. i.) To become new, or as new; to grow or begin again.
Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia
re-nu': The word is used in various senses:
(1) of material things, e.g. Psalm 104:30; here it means to give a new appearance, to refresh, to restore the face of the earth;
(2) in 1 Samuel 11:14, to establish more firmly the kingdom by reinstalling King Saul;
(3) in 2 Chronicles 15:8, to rebuild or repair the broken altar;
(4) in Lamentations 5:21, "renew our days," restore the favors of former days;
(5) in Isaiah 41:1, `let them gather together, or marshal their strongest arguments for answer';
(6) in Psalm 103:5 Isaiah 40:31, it refers to the restoring of spiritual strength;
(7) in the New Testament it invariably refers to spiritual renewal, e.g. Romans 12:2 2 Corinthians 4:16; Ephesians 4:23 Colossians 3:10 Titus 3:5 Hebrews 6:6; all derivatives of kainos, "new."
G. H. Gerberding
Renew (16 Occurrences)
Hebrews 6:4 For it is impossible to renew again to repentance those once enlightened, and who have tasted of the heavenly gift, and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, (DBY)
Hebrews 6:6 and then fell away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance; seeing they crucify the Son of God for themselves again, and put him to open shame. (WEB KJV ASV WBS YLT NAS)
1 Samuel 11:14 Then said Samuel to the people, "Come, and let us go to Gilgal, and renew the kingdom there." (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
2 Chronicles 24:4 And it came to pass after this, that Joash was minded to renew the house of Jehovah. (DBY YLT)
2 Chronicles 24:12 And the king and Jehoiada gave it to such as did the work of the service of the house of Jehovah, and they hired masons and carpenters to renew the house of Jehovah, and also such as wrought in iron and bronze, to repair the house of Jehovah. (DBY YLT)
Job 10:17 You renew your witnesses against me, and increase your indignation on me. Changes and warfare are with me. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)
Psalms 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit within me. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS NIV)
Psalms 103:5 who satisfies your desire with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. (Root in WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Psalms 104:30 You send forth your Spirit: they are created. You renew the face of the ground. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 9:10 Bricks have fallen, and hewn work we build, Sycamores have been cut down, and cedars we renew.' (YLT)
Isaiah 40:31 But those who wait for Yahweh will renew their strength. They will mount up with wings like eagles. They will run, and not be weary. They will walk, and not faint. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 41:1 "Keep silent before me, islands, and let the peoples renew their strength. Let them come near, then let them speak. Let's meet together for judgment. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS RSV NIV)
Isaiah 61:4 And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations. (See JPS YLT NIV)
Lamentations 5:21 Turn us to yourself, Yahweh, and we shall be turned. Renew our days as of old. (WEB KJV JPS ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)
Habakkuk 3:2 Yahweh, I have heard of your fame. I stand in awe of your deeds, Yahweh. Renew your work in the midst of the years. In the midst of the years make it known. In wrath, you remember mercy. (WEB RSV NIV)
Zephaniah 3:17 Yahweh, your God, is in the midst of you, a mighty one who will save. He will rejoice over you with joy. He will calm you in his love. He will rejoice over you with singing. (See RSV)